Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Wednesday, November 29, 2006
Romanian Women Need a Wake up Call
48% of Romanian women do not use any contraceptive method, according to a study published on Tuesday. More than half of respondents (1,000 Romanian women aged 15-49) said they would not practice safe sex because “they do not need it”, while 23% said they wanted to bear a child.

“The argument of ‘I don’t need it’, beyond the stated intention of planning to have a child, shows us that women in Romania do not have enough information about conception and contraception. They do not understand the benefits of planning and so they’re neglecting the subject. The high number of abortions confirm this”, says psychologist Aurora Liiceanu.

Women say they’d rather use natural methods because these would not lead to side effects and are “easy to use”. Story from Hotnews

It is true sexual education is not really practiced in Romanian schools and it has not been really practiced in the past. So I should really thank my high-school Biology teacher who took the time to give us the basics. However, I remember friends who knew everything about it and still took chances.

Yes, we all know about these "natural" methods. Simply because most of them don't work in practice...Maybe you are lucky enough and don't get pregnant too often. What about diseases? Not all of them have a cure.

Yes, cundoms occasionally break, pills don't work all the time, second day pills should only be used when there's an emergency. Still, they are more efficient than those "natural" methods of yours. If they worked, no one would have bothered to actually invent the other methods...

And here's the deal: condoms are quite natural. They don't have side effects. I understand pills might make you fat or have some negative impact on your health. But what's the deal with condoms? Does the "It does not feel that good" arguement work for you? Start using it. No matter what you're told, you are the one who will have to go through the pregnancy or to go through the trauma the abortion is!

There are organizations like ARAS trying to emphasize the risk. They were extremely active when I started high-school and I am pretty sure there are others like them trying to educate people on how to protect themselves. I am also sure there is information everywhere about the risks of just having sex without ever considering real consequences. Why do so many choose to ignore it all?

Anyway, I have a personal interest here: there should also be a survey asking men how many of them use condoms. And how many tried to convince their partner not to. Just to give us some perspective.
posted by Alina @ 1:14 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 11/29/2006 7:32 PM, Blogger S A J Shirazi said…

    Answer to your question: Given chance, I would not use condoms. That is male perspective in general and mine too. But there is a safer way than condoms: no waywardness. No?

     
  • At 11/29/2006 8:08 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    I don't see how that would prevent a pregnancy...And it would also mean only one partner, no? what if there are more at different times? take tests every other months and hope for the best?

     
  • At 11/30/2006 1:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi,

    Searched for "Romanian" and voila, here is this post. So I must reply =).

    The last thing Romania needs is more people. The first thing it needs is complete sex education. There isn’t one person on this planet that can make a compelling argument for not using a condom. "Ohh it just doesn’t feel that natural." Neither does Aids and Herpes if you think about it. I believe in using a condom even if your married and have been with the person for a long time. Not to mention a new partner.

    What are the alternatives? Well I suppose you can trust your fate to luck. No chance there, its just to easy to make a mistake. The other option is the birth control pill. No problem for the guy, but the girl has to put the chemical in her body. Not particularly healthy or reasonable.

    So condom is the way to go. Always.

    I even think that there is a female version of the condom out, but not too sure. At least now its sort of a mutual responsibility.

    This males perspective is: I will always use a condom. =)

     
  • At 12/03/2006 2:03 AM, Blogger Cristina Banu said…

    People who don't use any contraceptives should visualiz their lives with sexual diseases, unexpected kids or abortions, all the troubles that come with them and then think twice before having unprotected sex.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.