Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Wednesday, January 17, 2007
Who Needs Editors? Apparently Everyone!

There are ongoing debates on a certain aspect regarding blogs: should they be edited or not? Well, I wouldn’t mind someone double-checking my posts and pointing out mistakes that I make. Another solution would be having crucial enhancements for Word’s spell checker. What I do mind though is seeing online news sites with no proper editing.

It does not bother me that a blogger might misspell some words at times due to certain circumstances (of which lack of knowledge is the least common). I also don’t mind seeing that Slashdot has an entry in their FAQ explaining why there are some typos in their content, as Slashdot is mostly based on user submitted material.

But to see a word misspelled 10 times on a NewsFive is troubling. The article is available in Romanian only, but anyone can see the typo as they wrote “tsumani” instead of “tsunami”. And then there’s Hotnews. I usually like this site, but it is getting rather annoying to see them translate their articles into a language resembling secondary school English (beginners’ class). And I quote:

“the Black Sea is becoming into a major issue for Romania’s international stand.”

While the Black Sea area is far from resempling the Atlantic area of collective security, the accession of Romania and Bulgaria to the EU is expected to boost the interest of member states towards this region, which would involve a series of processes aimed at the development and strengthening of the regional economies.”

“Now, the Black Sea neighbors the EU thanks to littoral countries’, Tudor says.” - this one I really don't understand.

Original story here.

Tags: Journalism, Online Journalism, Spelling, Editors

posted by Alina @ 2:34 PM  
8 Comments:
  • At 1/17/2007 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just wanted to let you know you have a tag.

     
  • At 1/18/2007 4:44 AM, Blogger Twain said…

    I had no idea Hotnews had an English version -- I would have been happier without seeing it :(
    I think that "neighbors" in Tudor's quote is the verb of the sentence. But still, arghhh.

     
  • At 1/18/2007 6:03 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Thanks Zu.

    Raluca, that is the only valid option, but still, the choice of words is not the most fortunate.

     
  • At 1/18/2007 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I totally agree in spite being known for typos myself, I do not like seeing it on the news. The one that bothered me the most was a sign for a hairdresser that said: "For Wommenn" I was like... GRRRRRRRRRRR

     
  • At 1/18/2007 9:12 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Sarah, I usually have the same reactions. If you take the time to translate something, and there are people reviewing your material, it should be closer to correctness. Especially when you make such a big point of blogs needing editing.

     
  • At 1/18/2007 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maybe they're counting on the fact that being a Romanian site, there aren't a lot of people reading it in a language other than Romanian, so they've not hired certified translators to do the... translations. (can't find a suitable word to replace, so as to not repeat. sorry)

     
  • At 1/18/2007 10:21 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Ryan, they never hire professional translators. There's no need. A journalist with proper English knowledge is better at such a job.

     
  • At 1/18/2007 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That may be true, if it sure looks to me that they don't have journalists with proper English knowledge... And speaking of bad translations, take a look at this one... It really hurt my feelings. :(

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.