Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Saturday, January 06, 2007
The Amazing Adventures of Kayla in Istanbul

Part I (as in Day One)

December 30, 2006

Woke up at 12.30 am feeling quite groggy after only 2 hours of sleep. The clothes I was going to wear were prepared, but my baggage was…pretty much inexistent. Good reason to suddenly feel awake! An hour later it was all ready. It looked like a lot to carry downstairs. But I managed to drag it all in reasonable time. I then went to put on gas in my car. For some reason, I could not fill it :D Yup, too little sleep.

At 2 am I was at Ana and Vali’s place. They were not there, but a pack of crazy dogs that had just remember wolves are their relatives were barking around my car. However, we managed to load everything in the Mushroom (read my car here) and hit the road (of course, after properly filling the car with OMV gas).

An hour later we were at the customs. We passed to Bulgaria facing no real issues. Except for the difficulty we had in finding the right entrance in the Romanian customs. Other than that, no major problems. Well, maybe, the 2 euros tax we had to pay to be disinfected by the Bulgarians. What did the disinfection mean? Driving through water and mud for three meters of course.

Immediately after crossing, drivers switched. Meaning Vali drove through Bulgaria! It was still dark when we started crossing! And we took the wrong way twice :D No, we had a map, we did ask for directions, but you see, Bulgarians have no intuition in what unknowing creatures’ needs might be. So you find revealing signs only after you have struggled and found the way on your own….

When the light was enough to see…It started getting depressing. Houses looking either unfinished, either deserted, really bad roads (the European roads I mean), few people, even in midday…It all made us have a better view on our own country. Yes, at times, it can get so much worse.


The main amusement was this little police “office” we found deserted on our way. It made our day, to be honest! It looked so…modern!




When we got to the Turkish boarder, we could feel the enthusiasm filling every cell of our body. Ana and I mostly, while Vali was looking down on us, with an understanding, parent-like look. The real party started when we actually managed to find a Turkish radio station. Turkish music baby!

Little did we know that it will take us three hours to get pass the Turkish customs. Don’t ask me why, I did not find their controlling the bags that accurate! With little patience left, we passed and entered the highway to Istanbul. 230 kilometers remaining! On the highway (speed limit 120), well less than 2 hours!

About a hundred kilometers to Istanbul, Little Mushroom starting to give us signs it needed more gas. I drove slower, hoping we will make it there. At a certain point, 50 kilometers from our destination, we stopped at a gas station. My car needs 98 gas, they only had 95. So we thought we should take our chances and try to make it to Istanbul. There must be gas stations at the city entrance!

Well, what entrance? There are only highway exits to different neighborhoods of Istanbul! And we had no idea which exactly was the one we should head to! So the inevitable, the thing I swore will never happen to me, happened. We ran out of gas…On the highway, near the top of a hill, under a bridge, at night! I was going crazy at the time, of course!

Vali went to get some gas, while Ana and I remained in the car. Two police cars drove by. None of them stopped to help or ask what was wrong…But Vali the All Mighty managed to convince the guys from the gas station (no one knows exactly in which language) to give him gas in two bottles. So, we went on to fulfill our quest: finding the Grand Anka hotel.

We exited the highway and stopped near a shop selling cell phones. I went in and asked for directions. No one understood, so I showed them the location on the map. They tried to explain, I did not get it. So one of the guys got into the car and went with us, first to the nearest gas station, and then back to the right highway, showing us which way to go. Our destination: Aksaray.

In Aksaray, we stopped again. Asked for directions to some cops. They tried to help in a weird combination of Turkish and English. We were close. Next, I got out to ask to a couple where the hotel was. The guy wanted to take me there personally. But when he saw I was with the car, he just told me: go back, take the second street left. We tried. However, the tram was passing on that street. There were no left turns :)

When we managed to turn left we were too far away. I tried asking a cab driver for direction, he could not understand. A man then asked where I was from. I said Romania. “Ce faci” he asked. That is “how are you” in Romanian! So people, remember, Romanian will help you more than English when in Istanbul. His friends were coming to pick him up, so the drove in front of and helped us complete our task. And there it was! The Grand Anka hotel!!!

We took our rooms (I had a double room to enjoy all by myself) then quickly changed and went for a walk. The first car reseller that we found? Dacia-Renault, of course! Welcome to Istanbul, Romanian Friends! :)


And in the end, the closest mosque to our hotel, Murat Pasa Camii (Murat Pasa Mosque).

Stay tuned, more to come!

Tags: Tourism, Travel Destinations, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Istanbul
posted by Alina @ 5:53 PM  
16 Comments:
  • At 1/06/2007 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like quite the adventure already! Thanks for posting the photos. Glad you haven't had any mishaps other than running out of gas. Bonne chance et bonne courage!

     
  • At 1/06/2007 11:07 PM, Blogger Bart Treuren said…

    thank you for the lovely and intriguing update... i'm looking forward to your adventures in the next few days ;-)

    travelling is a strange part of life, for nothing is what you'd expect and/or bargained for, excitement and disillusionment around every corner...

    keep well... ;-)

     
  • At 1/06/2007 11:21 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Paris Parfait, thank you! As I am long back in Bucharest, I can tell you there were no more mishaps. :)

    Bart, traveling is what I would like to be doing all the time :D for all the reasons you pointed out. I am so sorry it is all over now. But writing about it brings all the fun memories back.

     
  • At 1/07/2007 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You are such a talented travel writer! I love the photos.

    Sorry you ran out of gas. I re-read the part about your having to get disinfected in Bulgaria. Amazing.

    The Turks should pay you for this post. Great piece!

     
  • At 1/07/2007 9:00 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Thank you so much, Naomi! They dud pay me in a way, by being extremely nice and helpful :P

     
  • At 1/07/2007 1:00 PM, Blogger loloma said…

    This reminds me of my own trip to Greece about 10 years ago. We went by bus, at night, and it pretty much looked like in your photos when we crossed Bulgaria.

    But isn't it nice how helpful some people are when you are a tourist? I am always amazed how some of them would go out of their way to help you reach your destination. It is in moments like this that I usually think to myself, "What a wonderful world!". :)

    Looking forward to reading part II.

     
  • At 1/07/2007 2:19 PM, Blogger Valentin Danielescu said…

    Vali the All Mighty??? A new superhero is in town! Ta-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta!!!
    Really now, let's keep our heads cool :P:P:P

     
  • At 1/07/2007 2:21 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Well, Chief, what did you expect?
    :D

     
  • At 1/07/2007 5:53 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Loloma, you are so right. It is moments like these that make appreciate the warmth of the human kind.

     
  • At 1/08/2007 12:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have a fabulous time! I love the pictures too!

     
  • At 1/08/2007 8:20 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Owz, I kinda was close to her for a short while :) And you are so right, a lot to see. I've been there twice and still have not managed to see it all. Of course, I was there for a lot less than you.

    Thanks Safiya, it has been quite a trip :)

     
  • At 1/09/2007 11:42 AM, Blogger Cristina Banu said…

    Sounds like a very nice trip :). Too bad it didn't last longer.

     
  • At 1/09/2007 1:05 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    True, very true. I need another week there to finish seeing what I wanted to see :)

     
  • At 1/11/2007 10:12 AM, Blogger Ali Ambrosio said…

    Alina! So good to be back and up to date on your adventures, girl. And what adventures they were. I can't believe you ran out of gas!! That is one of my worst nightmares on a road trip, especially in a place I don't know. Good thing you know your little mushroom well because I have no idea what the difference is between 95 and 98 gas. I just put in unleaded and off I go. :)

    Loved the photos. You make me want to visit this region of Europe and obviously to visit Turkey.

    Glad you had a wonderful vacation!

     
  • At 1/11/2007 10:52 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Yeah, I can't believe it either. Especially since I swore it would never happen to me as it seems so stupid :P

    You should visit Istanbul when you get the chance. It is totally worth it!

     
  • At 1/11/2007 10:53 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    As for 95 or 98, this is the octanic number. Don't ask me what that means, I just now a certain number is recommended for different types of cars :P

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.