Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Monday, October 31, 2005
Phil Collins – First and Last Concert in Bucharest

As part of his First Final Farewell Tour, Phil Collins created a firey atmosphere last night in Romaero Baneasa. An amazing live concert, the first one in Bucharest. As the singer said for Europa FM, this was on of the goals of the tour, to reach places he had never been to or that he had sang in only once.

And I almost missed it. I have to say, I am not a big fan of Phil Collins. And when K first said he wanted us to go, I wasn’t that enthusiastic. We first talked about it a month ago, but we eventually decided to drop the idea, as he had lots of work and a quite crazy schedule. Then on Saturday night, the plans changed…So we bought tickets on Sunday (this meaning they were really bad tickets :)) and at 7 o’clock C. and a friend of his came to pick us up.

Because of some external tension, we completely forgot the camera, fact that I still regret…When we finally got there, we found out that only those with VIP tickets were allowed to park near the concert hall (an enormous hall belonging to the Baneasa Airport). I couldn’t understand why, as there was plenty of room for all those coming with cars. But that would have actually required some good organizing skills…Not yet in Bucharest!

We found a spot with better visibility, but it was quite cold there…Yet somehow, that didn’t seem to matter that much at the time. Lots of people had came, of all ages, 10 year olds and people in their 40s and 50s. The only think that I really hated was that they were only selling Pepsi…You all now what a great tragedy such a thing is to me! So we drank beer.

The actual concert was amazing. In the beginning, the ex-drummer of Genesis showed us all his skills with an amazing drum mini-concert. First him alone, then accompanied by two other drummers. The music, also amazing, K was actually right to tell me I would love him after that night. Some of the songs played: Against all Odds, Sussudio, One More Night (before this song, Phil Collins stated some of us might have been conceived on this song, which was probably very true!), Don’t Lose My Number, Another Day in Paradise, We Wait and We Wonder, Dance into the Light, True Colours, Can’t Stop Loving You and many more in over two hours of great music. The backing vocals group was also amazing. Two of them actually had some amazing solos in what quality and duration is concerned, fact that surprised me. I never imagined a start would ever want to have the audience focus on the others! Another thing to like about Phil Collins I guess.

Another thing we all appreciated was him trying to say a few words in Romanian. It was actually a few sentences and we all appreciated the effort. For my Romanian readers, he actually did great, but he had a minor problem with the word “piese”(songs) which for a moment sounded like “piiizz”, then he said it correctly. Yet his little mistake made everyone laugh. As far as I am concerned, this effort won his forgiveness for mixing up Romania and Bulgaria a while ago.
The lights deserve their own paragraph. An amazing show, combining videotaped images and light effect, such as falling start, some Highlander-like lightning and all the phases of the moon.

The atmosphere was also a lot better than I expected. An amazing crowd, everybody dancing, screaming, applauding and whistling, all of them smiling. They all had a special glow in their eyes.

I don’t know which part of this I liked best. I think it was all of it combined and a little help from the fact it was our 3 months anniversary. But this will be a night that I will always remember as my first concert in Bucharest, the most amazing one of my life.
posted by Alina @ 9:03 AM  
12 Comments:
  • At 10/31/2005 10:13 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Yeah, the company did matter, Jade! :)

    I hope Cairo was luckier than Bucharest with Enrique. When he was here, people paid a lot to hear to his tape...he did a playback! But the sound engineers rewarded him properly, they recorded his cries and played them all over the Internet.

     
  • At 10/31/2005 12:55 PM, Blogger Digital Writing said…

    So, how much did you pay for the ticket? Can you imagine, 2 million lei is a third of my salary as a teacher...

     
  • At 10/31/2005 1:43 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    The ticket was 1,3 million lei. I didn't pay for it though! :) Yeah, these concerts are quite expensive if you think about it.

     
  • At 11/01/2005 2:44 AM, Blogger loloma said…

    Happy 3-month anniversary!

    I envy you! Haven't been to a concert yet. In Romania or elsewhere... :( I guess I just couldn't make up my mind to pay all those money.

    And I'm afraid I'm not as forgiving when people mix up the place I come from. It already happened so many times (Oh, Romania? Budapest? or Oh, Romania? Rome? or Oh, Romania? Where is that?), but I still get pissed off every time it happens again.

     
  • At 11/01/2005 7:11 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    I get pissed of as well! But hey, if they eventually learn where the country is and where it's capital city is, I'm ok with it! If they also have a short speech in Romanian, even better :)

     
  • At 11/01/2005 10:47 AM, Blogger Digital Writing said…

    You don't have to be mad. Budapest is a very beautiful city (been there 11 times I think) and we should be proud if people think they are in Budapest. If they go back home with memories and pictures from Bucharest, thinking they have visited Budapest, it's very good for our admission in the EU.

     
  • At 11/01/2005 7:32 PM, Blogger Lasto-adri *Blue* said…

    phill is one of my favorite singers..
    yet, i don't prefere concerts unles its with my deariest friends.. else i'd feel as an alien from the whole place..
    some how i suffocate in crowds :)

     
  • At 11/01/2005 9:54 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    I don't think I'd like to go on my own either...I have no problem with crowds, but in such occasions, the group thing is very important!

     
  • At 11/01/2005 11:07 PM, Blogger tota said…

    How nice that was Kayla good point for K to convince u to go, i see u r affected too

    I LIKE phill Collins, most of the songs u mentioned too, he is having that special tone, which i feel it has a background echo!

    Glade u enjoyed, so now u got all his albums?! :)

     
  • At 11/02/2005 12:38 AM, Blogger Bart Treuren said…

    phil collins is just great... i've been a fan ever since i discovered the first genesis albums in the 70's and have never regretted it...
    K's a real sweetie for you, glad he managed to convince you to go and congratulations on your 3-month thingie ;-)

     
  • At 11/02/2005 7:16 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Loloma,
    Forgot to say thank you!It's been a really happy one.

    Tota,
    Glad you stopped by, I was a bit worried! No, I didn't get them all, yet! But I'll have as many mp3s as I can :)

    Bart,
    Yes, he's great, I am now convinced of it! K is indeed really sweet :) I know the 3 months does not seem that much, but it's been so great that celebrating it made all the sense in the world.

     
  • At 11/04/2005 6:21 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    EW, maybe you get the chance now, at his Farewell tour! Some of the songs are already listed in the post.:))

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.