Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Thursday, October 13, 2005
First Information Technology lab
Today we had our first introduction to IT lab...It was indeed amazing. The computer I sat at had an error message saying the LAN was disconnected. I couldn’t care less as I was not in the mood for surfing the Internet before the teacher’s arrival. I just sat down, open my book, (I am currently indulging myself with God Emperor of Dune), and silently waited.

The fact that some of my fellow students jumped straight to the net did not surprise me in any way. That is somewhat normal behavior as not everybody has Internet access at home and as most don’t work they cannot enjoy work place Internet access (which is always faster).

What surprised me was the fact that 8 of them (we were about 20) immediately started to play Solitare and (I was really not believing this at that moment) they continued to play until they finished the game after the teacher arrived, half hour later as the lab had been changed and no one bothered to let him know (it was the secretaries’ job).

I can understand a need for solitaire when you are extremely bored. But in this situation, Internet access and all, it seemed a huge waste of time and computer access time…Even reading their email would have been more constructive…
posted by Alina @ 7:50 PM  
11 Comments:
  • At 10/13/2005 10:11 PM, Blogger Digital Writing said…

    Yep, that's why they call us romanians-banana people. all we need is just a little food and a lot of fun. the company pays for your training and you just play solitaire (I don't mean you, Kayla :-)

     
  • At 10/14/2005 2:07 AM, Blogger Charisma said…

    Thats so typical, when i was in university, some students played real cards while in class not in a computer lab :)

    its just that some ppl dont really go to study, not all the time anyways, they go to have fun play games and meet their friends.

    you tend to amaze me Kayla, you're so focused, i like that.

     
  • At 10/14/2005 4:27 AM, Blogger Nightlegend said…

    That's not very surprising though ,Yesterday I was visiting a mall and mostly all the the shops staff sitting on comouters were playing solitare ,That's may be understandable as it's rare to have internet connection in shops but if they are allowed to do whatever they like why they don't invest this time in something more useful than Soliare like reading for example.

     
  • At 10/14/2005 11:00 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Goerge, people in my company watch movies or play strategy games when they have spare time! But only when they have it and it sometimes seems a lot better than solitare. And btw, we have a huge movie data base here...

    CS, I have to be focused! I have to plan my time carefully to get it all done, and it doesn't always work. Anyway, in my first uni things were a bit different. I think young people start to care less about how they waste their time every year! I never thought I would feel so out of place around people 3-4 years younger than me. There are exceptions, but even so...

    Nightlegend, at least they are shop employees, not students paying money to study! Yet I agree reading (even e-books) would help them more!

    Jade, that is sad, true! I believe there is nothing wrong with a game break, whatever game! But when that becomes your most important activity, things get nasty.

     
  • At 10/15/2005 12:41 AM, Blogger Bokbok said…

    ha ha ha!

    I think they should start creating their blogs! ^-^

    ;)

     
  • At 10/15/2005 2:05 PM, Blogger S A J Shirazi said…

    Droped in to say this: Have a happy weekend.

     
  • At 10/15/2005 9:12 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    You are right, Boks! It is a far better keen!

    Shi, thanks, same to you!

     
  • At 10/16/2005 2:43 AM, Blogger Lasto-adri *Blue* said…

    amazingly the same situation almost happenes in our labs in cairo..

    it is totaly frustrating.. at least to me ..

     
  • At 10/16/2005 8:37 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Yeah, i can totally understand you there!

     
  • At 10/17/2005 11:22 PM, Blogger Bart Treuren said…

    unfortunately, the internet is such a wonderful place to lose your way and waste as much time as you can without doing anything productive, irrespective of solitaire or not... just surfing, without really having a goal is a perfect way to waste time too, can be fun occasionally but when it becomes a habit its wicked...

     
  • At 10/18/2005 12:36 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Bart, I agree! But there are more chances to find something interesting surfing the web than playing solitaire...

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.