Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Sunday, October 09, 2005
Right or wrong
Thursday morning, on my way to work, I stopped by a small pastry shop to buy something to eat. A high-school girl was in line in front of me. She had a pretty unhappy, hurried and busy face on and she placed her order with a pretty grumpy tone. I didn’t like it and the saleswoman didn’t like it either. So she just gave her the pate she ordered without saying anything. The girl turned around and left and now it was my turn. I started with “Good morning, could you please give me…” and ended with a “thank you”. The saleswoman smiled back at me and asked nicely “You’re having it now or would you like me to pack it for later? – the magic question that the girl in front of me didn’t get. Yes, I was the lucky winner of the day.

The saleswoman simply reacted to our different attitudes. Why isn’t it right? Because it’s called being in the services business. Which means you are supposed to gain your customers as you make a living with the money they pay for your services. Yes, reacting like that to things that go both ways is normal, until that very moment when you are paid to serve your customer, to do it well nonetheless. Yes, I sometimes lose my temper and swear while chatting with a customer and after a phone conversations because there are some really idiot people. But they will never sense that attitude in my voice while talking or in the way I type my answers. Simply because part of what they paid for the product was for me to listen to their idiotic questions and problems.

It so was the case of the saleswoman. She is paid to sometimes take crap from teenage girls that has waken up grumpy that morning, but to answer them politely, maybe with a smile and to make sure the next time they’re hungry they come back to her little shop, one of many dozens the girl sees on her way to school. That’s a rule of competition!
posted by Alina @ 7:10 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 10/09/2005 11:51 PM, Blogger Bart Treuren said…

    yep, attitude's worth a million... people notice and take notice of it and although it's so damned hard to stay polite when somebody is being so ffing rude in front of you

    you can demonstrate the quality of your work or just the way your are by being kind, patient and responsive despite all the shit that gets thrown at you occasionally...

    keep well and be good (or even better if you like ;-) )

     
  • At 10/10/2005 7:24 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Yes, Bart, it is quite hard. But I guess it also depends on what is asked of you. If your employer cares as little as you do about your attitude, then you tend to relax! If you know they expect you to be nice, polite and patient, then you have to control yourseld, otherwise look for a different job..

    Here the main problem is that employees and employers both haven't realized yet that you need regular customers to run a good business. Amd the saying "Our customer, our master" is always ignored.

     
  • At 10/10/2005 6:12 PM, Blogger tota said…

    Those jobs that require a direct communication with ppl … I see it amazing & very much interesting … I’m so much interested in Humane Resources, communication skills, u can deal with different types of ppl in the same day, funny situations, some pissed u off, but when the place you work for is good, ur manager value u , the atmosphere around u with ur work mates are comforting and you already like what u do, then it worths… and u can see it as, I’m much more lucky than others that in one day I can see ppl , deal with different type of ppl learn new communication skills & aspects in life that, others whom are working in quiet environment can get it in months or maybe years :)

     
  • At 10/10/2005 9:15 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Yes, it is an amazing field, I have always loved it, working with people. You need to learn to adapt fast, react faster and better than others, promote your image and your company's (products') image and read between the lines of the other one's imposed image. Yes, you get pissed off, a lot, but the real challange is to control it, not let it show, and then simply let it out with your colleagues on a coffee break when you all complain about the freakes you've met. :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.