Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Monday, December 04, 2006
Romanian Accused of Breaking into NASA Computers

A 26 year-old Romanian is accused of illegally accessing over 150 computers employed by US public institutions, thus causing over 1.5 million dollars worth of damage. The institutions include NASA, the Energy Department and the US Navy.

Victor Faur, risks 54 years in prison if found guilty, said Thom Mrozek, spokesman for the Federal Prosecution Office. The American Government believes that Faur is the head of a hacker organization called “The white hats team”, which aims to break into the US official institutions’ computers simply because they are considered as the safest in the world.

This story from Hotnews caught my eye. Interesting story, yes, somewhere deep inside we are keen on the idea one of us is that good with computers. What surprises me about this story is that there is no statement of the Romanian authorities. If they've already questioned him, what was the conclusion? Evidence, is there any? How did they come to know it was him? I'd like to know all these. Has anyone seen the story elsewhere? It's from December 1st (yeah, I was celebrating and not reading the papers).

UPDATE
According to Evenimentul zilei, the young man is actually 22, has rejected the accusations and has recently been selected to work for IBM in the Check Republic. The actual breaking into NASA computers happened about a year ago and the Romanian authorities have not decided if they will allow Faur to be trialed in the US.

Tags: Hacker, Hacking, NASA
posted by Alina @ 9:02 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At 12/04/2006 12:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    wow, first I like your blogg very much and hope you don't mind my little visit, second I adore hackers when they do so and feel there must neve be a punishment for doing so.
    it could be like a chalenge for every body and the one who succeed of hacking these systems must be rewarded and systems must be adjusted thats all.

     
  • At 12/04/2006 1:04 PM, Blogger Ryan said…

    That does happen. What you say reminds me of the guy that cracked Apple's DRM - when he did it the second time, Apple hired him. :) (I hope I'm not confusing stories here and embarrassing myself in the process.)

     
  • At 12/04/2006 4:31 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Hechkok, I think hacking systems just to prove they're vulnerable might be useful, in certain conditions. But just doing it for fun and to gain easy money, well, that's not something I can really support.

    Ryan, I am not sure about the details of the story. I've heard something on the topic at a certain moment...But I'm quite not sure of the details.

     
  • At 12/05/2006 10:28 AM, Blogger zee said…

    hackers have always fascinated me...maybe because they're doing something they're reeeeeally good at. Most people never bother trying to find out what their true talents are and when if they do know what it is, they never really exploit it to its true potential.

    that being said, im still looking for my true talent...what's your alina?

     
  • At 12/05/2006 11:37 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    There was a time when I thought writing is my greatest talent. That all I need to be is a writer. But then I neglected it for years and years and now I doubt that was it.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.