Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Wednesday, January 31, 2007
Portrait of Nowadays Tourists
"More and more people are ‘cash-rich’ and ‘time-poor’ today. They have less time to travel for leisure purposes, but they want to ensure that their trips create a memorable experience – one they can savour for a long time.

While today’s consumers increasingly demand better quality tourism products, it is paradoxical that the majority are still constantly on the look-out for `price deals`. Pricing clearly remains key.

Today`s leisure travelers, who comprise more singles, more female travelers, more grandparents traveling with their grandchildren, and more large family units (several generations), are much less concerned about which destination they visit, which means they tend to be less loyal to destinations than they ever were in the past.

In this age of environmental changes and the increasingly widespread awareness of the need to be more ‘green’, authenticity is also of growing importance to holidaymakers than ever before. They want more interaction with local people and a more emotional and cultural link to the people and communities they visit."

These are the findings of the Pisa Forum organized by IPK International and sponsored ITB Berlin. More details on the forum and the profile here.

These findings come to reaffirm the economic findings regarding leisure tourists: demand is highly elastic where price is concerned. Unlike the business tourists, who have the same taste for high-standard services and never worry about the price.

More singles, more female travelers. This is a natural trend I guess. A form of expressing one's independence from one point of view. Or maybe finally realizing that no one else will fulfill one's dreams. When you want to see certain places, you just need to make plans on your own and others will follow.

Apparently, the number of conservative tourists, those choosing the same location, the same hotel and eating at the same restaurant, is decreasing. With easy access to thousands of different travel destinations, who has time to go to the same place each time they travel? Maybe exposure to media reports about new hot spots is increasing tourists' taste for new discoveries.

I am more of an adventurer tourist. I like making my own schedules, first deciding when and where to go, what to do there, and then choosing where to stay. I am a fan of cheap lodging (budget hotels or hostels) when it comes to making expense plans for longer journeys (more than one week), but never think twice when it comes to paying a lot on visiting museums, palaces, churches and mosques. And I am crazy about little reminders of where I have been. And love to experience local cuisine instead of going to the universal fast foods that I feel safe with.

For short vacations, I am can be tempted by 4-5 stars hotels. Like this year in Istanbul. As much as I love luxury hotels and would kill to one day manage one, I find it quite dispensable when it comes to seeing more and doing significantly more at the same price.

I buy tourist guides. I could research online, which I actually do, but I find guides to be more detailed and as I buy them where I'm at, it's also a good reminder for later.

What kind of tourist are you? What do you like to do/experience when traveling?

Travel, Travel Destinations, Tourism, Tourist Attractions, Tourists

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Alina @ 3:07 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 1/31/2007 4:45 PM, Blogger Parizian said…

    "What kind of tourist are you? What do you like to do/experience when traveling?"

    I think different types of tourism are more or less related with the age :) A few years before I couldn't even think about going somewhere and stay even in a cheap hotel (cheap is quite relative to someones actual budget). So backpacking was the number 1 solution with all kinds of alternative travel solutions (like big trucks, night trains, etc.).

    However as I got older, I've got my enlarged family and a bigger budget I definitely tend to be more attracted by packages: plane, hotel...

     
  • At 1/31/2007 5:37 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Strider, you are quite right. Age is a main factor here. But to some extent. Explorer/Adventurer type tourists will act the same regardless of the age.

    Young people are less concerned about conditions, mature tourists require different services, and elderly travelers go on longer vacations due to the lack of activity.

    Some habits change with age (like time of the year, availability to travel on short notice, lodging requirements, preferred means of transport etc) while others don't (going to similar destinations if you are conservative).

     
  • At 1/31/2007 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    One reason for going on holiday to the same place, or staying at the same hotel, or staying at places you are familiar with is that it helps aviod disaster. Nothing can be more disasterous than the hidden surprises you might find when your plans turn to dust upon your arrival with your family in tow. On the other hand, there is a certain since of adventure and accomplishment when you have to muddle you way through the unexpected when you travel to new places. Hmb

     
  • At 2/01/2007 10:03 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Anonymous, tourism is always a risky affair. bad weather, or serious calamities, or political instability, they may all turn a know location into hell. Also,researching the location and the hotel ahead and using a good booking company (online or offline) can be used to prevent such mishaps. Otherwise, going to the same seaside resort for example, for more than 2 years in a row can turn out to be extremely boring. At least for me.

     
  • At 2/01/2007 10:04 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    That kayla there with no profile is actually me.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.