Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Wednesday, November 23, 2005
All for the money
It seems that in beautiful Romania a child’s need for protection, love, guidance and support does not exist. All a child needs is money, not someone to stand by him, not a healthy environment, just money, sent by the parents through any means.

My cousin’s mom, my aunt has recently left the country. She is now in Italy, trying to make a living there. Prior to this, they were both living with my grandmother in a commune from the Vrancea County. No real income, no real perspectives. She decided to go work abroad to be able to provide him with enough money for a proper education.

My mom and I had already decided to take him to Ploiesti to make sure he gets a proper high-school education and to help him get rid of the tiring trouble of going to a different town for classes. We decided the best way to have him transferred was to have some legal organization place him in my mothers care.

All set! We filed the request in Vrancea. Some stupid lady working at the Child Protection Office in Focsani (County capital city) delayed the action for about 3 months just because she had no idea how her job should have been done. Then the file finally got to the Ploiesti commission.

As my mother and I have the same permanent residence, we were asked to file lots of papers to prove she could take care of her nephew. And so we did! Yesterday the case was discussed by that stupid commission…And their reply? Not final yet, but still…

The child can be supported by his mother! There is no need for him to be placed in my mom’s care! She can send him money! My problem with that? Well, there is no guarantee she will have a job that will pay enough to send him money, at least for starters. There is no guarantee she will be able to keep that job. Not to mention the fact that lots of people work there illegally…The other problem, which is not financial, he is 14! He cannot take care of himself, go pick up the money and establish the budget for the whole month! He might need documents that my mom won’t be able to sign, so it will take an enormous amount of time to get things done and papers sent, then translated into Romanian….

You might wonder why they reached this conclusion…Well they are obliged to pay 800,000 ROL per month to each minor placed into someone’s care (less then 30 dollars). We don’t even want that money, but you cannot choose to receive it or not. The law has been recently changed and all should receive this sum…So the conclusion is that a child’s protection only revolves around the money that child has! Pathetic!

Of course he will still leave with us and he will still go to school in Ploiesti. And we will go through a whole lot of trouble for any documents signed by his mother that he might need…But I wonder, how many people trying to help a child would do the same?
posted by Alina @ 5:19 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At 11/23/2005 6:24 PM, Blogger Twain said…

    Oh, Kayla, that is indeed infuriating. I wish you and your mom good luck -- bureacracy is blind...

     
  • At 11/23/2005 6:29 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Yeah, it really is! What bugs me most is that there were two persons in the commision stating all this crap. And the others did not agree with them, but didn't sustain another point of view either!
    This is not being blind, it is being completely stupid and doing a job without putting any heart into it. It's children we're talking about for Christ's sake!

     
  • At 11/24/2005 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So,if I understood right, you are denied from getting 30 bucks a month, huh?! That's shameless! Oh, the poor helpless little boy!...

     
  • At 11/24/2005 5:46 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    No, you got it wrong! We are not denied that sum that we don't need in the first place. We are denied the possibility of officially having my cousin in our care...

     
  • At 11/24/2005 11:13 PM, Blogger ~Daydreamer~ said…

    I don't know what to say Kayla. Such things really upset me. Good luck dear.

    Btw, that's a common problem nowadays. People with no feelings who think they are doing a good job. Be patient :)

     
  • At 11/25/2005 8:13 AM, Blogger Makhtub said…

    Hey kayla,
    I guess this occurs all across the world, the dumb bueraucracy tends to not look into logic more but rules and law regulations! I think sometimes people either stick too much to standards or just are sadistic! But if its there in the law much cannot be blamed on those that execute them, I think people need to update their laws and for that someone needs to fight it out, which is quite an exaspertaing thing to do! Well u guys are doing such a noble thing, I wonder how many will beinterested in the first place to take such a step? I am not too sure of the laws here In India, but I think here too we cannot legaly take someone in our care if a parent is alive and willing to support, but yes u can be a guardian?Is that what u guys were trying to be, or take legal custody? Anyways wishing u and ur bro all the best

    cheers

     
  • At 11/25/2005 10:22 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Thanks for the support, Marwa!

    Adrasteia, it is not legal custody and not guardian either...It is something common here, even if the parents are alive and have no means or possibility to take care of the child. His mother is overseas and her income is not quite secure, yet she is seen by this commision as able to take care of them. It is not just the law, it is also how people interpret it. In this case, not in our favor or my cousin's at all!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.