Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Sunday, October 15, 2006
Maiden’s Tower
K is not the type of guy that calls several times a day to talk to me. He’s quite the opposite, I am the one who needs to hear him more. Therefore, I was quite surprised when he called, the second time that day. I picked up the phone thinking there’s something important for me to know.

It was, in a way. He told me to change channels and watch AXN. It was the Amazing Race and the teams were going to Istanbul. More than that, they were going to a specific place where we had been together: Kız Kulesi of Maiden’s Tower. Dating back from 341 BC, in 410 BC it became a customs area on the Bosphorous, but the tower on this structure was built only in 1110. In 1719 it was burnt down by a fire and then repaired in 1725.

More history and photo from here.

Presently it hosts a restaurant, a coffee/tea small shop and you can see a huge part of Istanbul from up top. You can only get there by small boats, which makes it seem quite a world in its own. When I was there, I had a hot chocolate which I quite enjoyed while looking at the sea and the city.

There are quite a few legends about the tower. One of the most famous is that of a princess locked here by her father to protect her from a prophecy that stated she would die on her 18th birthday. On that very day, she was brought a fruit basket and was killed by a snake which had managed to get inside.

I watched the show, seeing people running around Kız Kulesi and looking for clues and gnomes. And I thought to myself: too bad you do not have the time to enjoy it!

Tags: Travel, Tourism, Travel Destinations, Istanbul, Turkey, Kız Kulesi

posted by Alina @ 9:44 AM  
11 Comments:
  • At 10/15/2006 1:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a legend! There seem to more to this tower than what meets the eye.

     
  • At 10/15/2006 4:13 PM, Blogger Cristina Banu said…

    I am impressed by the view in the picture and I can only imagine that the landscape is seen very nice from the tower. It looks a bit similar to the White Tower in Thessaloniki from where you could view the entire city and sea. It is placed on a street full of cafes and bars, one next to each other, welcoming turists and Greeks looking for relaxing moments.

     
  • At 10/15/2006 6:46 PM, Blogger Pecos Blue said…

    Sounds very nice and a great place to see and relax. nice gesture from K too.

     
  • At 10/15/2006 11:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice to see you are always on his mind. I really wish some day I can go to Turkey may be if I did I can look you up 8D

     
  • At 10/16/2006 5:05 AM, Blogger Rose said…

    The Amazing Race contestants have an opportunity to visit so many beautiful places but you are right, they don't get a chance to enjoy it nor witness the places' beauty.

     
  • At 10/16/2006 9:41 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    This is only one of the legends, Shi. What they all have in common is a maiden being located here.

    Yes, Cris, the view is amazing. Unfortunately, the pictures I took here are from the 1 GB that was misteriously lost between the camera and the computer...What about the White Tower? Any interesting legends?

    Yes, a great place to relax and enjoy the view. And K can be very sweet at times.

    Sarah, yeah, nice thing to realize. And yes, if we get to move to Turkey until you come visit, you can drop by anytime :D

    Rose, I do envy them in a way because they have the chance to be in so many amazing places. But just running by everything is not something to be envious of. I am sure their whole race in Turkey was nothing compared to the week I spent there.

     
  • At 10/17/2006 9:24 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Thanks so much...Well not as original as yours, but I try :)

     
  • At 10/18/2006 5:53 AM, Blogger Naomi said…

    I, too, find the legend fascinating. You make a great travel and history writer! I love your interesting stories.

     
  • At 10/18/2006 8:11 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Thanks Naomi (blush), sometimes you are too kind

     
  • At 10/21/2006 3:03 AM, Blogger LouLou said…

    Alina,

    You should think about writing a travel book. Love both the descriptions and the photos you do.:)

    On a somewhat unrelated topic have you read Michener's "Tales of the South Pacific"?

     
  • At 10/21/2006 8:15 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Thank you Lou, maybe later I will be able to do that :)

    As for the book, no I have not, but will search for it!Thanks for the recommendation.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.