Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Tuesday, February 06, 2007
Romanians, threatened by smoking
"Smoking is a growing menace in Romania, as some 30% of Romania’s population smokes. World Health Organization estimates that there will be 10 million deaths occurring due to smoking , by 2030.

Most Romanians smoke because their friends smoke and because it is allowed everywhere. In the last years Romania witnessed an alarming growth in the number of smokers and most of them never consider the health hazards they expose themselves at." More details here.

I did smoke for quite a few years (with some breaks due to random decisions of quitting), and I must admit I did it because it was and interesting social gesture. Going out and meeting friends, smoking with them, it was something we shared. I then got over it and quit. About 2 and a half years ago.

Since then I've experienced some occasional mishaps, where I smoked a couple of cigarettes when going out, but mostly I kept it to a few cigarettes a year. I am convinced giving up smoking is not that hard. Then again, for some reason I was not addicted to the cigarette in itself, but to the habit of smoking when going out or meeting a friend at his/her place or mine. When I was alone, I hardly ever smoked.

Quitting is a good idea. And if health is not a good enough reason, others can be found. Experts can help and there are drugs that have some effect at least on a few. Trying is the first step and I am convinced more people should do it.

I look forward to smoking being banned in more areas and the law being strictly enforced. When it gets inconvenient, irritating instead of relaxing, I am sure smoking no longer seems so appealing. I wish my parents could quit. But as they said several times, the longer you smoke, the harder it gets to quit.

Labels: ,

posted by Alina @ 2:54 PM  
8 Comments:
  • At 2/06/2007 5:26 PM, Blogger a said…

    I have been told that ex-smokers are the worst for the current smokers. I totally miss smoking (I quit six months ago) and I feel like quitting is actually the social gesture.
    In NYC I saw people smoking in subway stations, two or three levels underground, or in pubs. That is the way things work here - as long as nobody is upset, you can probably smoke anywhere. But a few months ago I was working on a palliative care floor in hospital in Manhattan and I learned that some patients smoke on their death beds. Yes, it is a hospital, the employees smoke at the ER entrance, but it is almost impossible to deny to the dying this last pleasure.

     
  • At 2/06/2007 6:12 PM, Blogger Ryan said…

    Speaking of smoking, I don't usually do this, except on Massenger, but:

    http://tinyurl.com/2mnzzl
    http://tinyurl.com/2mymdc

    (enjoy;) )

     
  • At 2/06/2007 9:11 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'm usually a lurker but... :)

    I live in Scotland and we banned smoking in public places a year ago. Personally, this has made a big difference to me as I work in the licensed trade industry and tend to spend a lot of time in pubs/clubs - one of the worst locations for second hand smoke. The difference I noticed, immediately, was tremendous.

    My mum gave up smoking around, oh, 10 years ago now. She managed it without patches too. She used tic-tacs. Mint ones. And became addicted.

    It took us months to get her off the tic-tacs.

    I've never met anyone since with such nice breath...

     
  • At 2/06/2007 11:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Bullet recently ran an article about it.

     
  • At 2/06/2007 11:48 PM, Blogger Zu said…

    I never smoke. Not even once, just to try it. I just never actually felt the need to. Although it would have been easier for me in highschool, I'll admitt that :-).

    But I've seen enough smokers around me to understand their habits- I believe you get to a point where you don't even think you need a smoke, every time you have some spare time or you are in a stressfull situation, you hand automatically reaches for the cigarettes :-).

    As a non-smoker you have to find something intelligent to do in moments such as waiting in front of a door, or you'll look bored and boring- while a smoker... just takes out a cigarette and, puf, he has an ocupation :-)

     
  • At 2/07/2007 12:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've tried quitting...many times but I was unsuccessful. I realize I can't do 'cold turkey' - so I guess I have to resort to tapering down slowly.

    I really have to commit myself to do this or else it won't work. Soon I hope.

    Good post Alina, and very relavent.

    PS. please can u fix the URL of my link of my blog in the sidebar. It still points to my old blog... :P thanks!

     
  • At 2/07/2007 8:25 AM, Blogger Sim said…

    something.....about smoking. I've got a friend who quit smoking when he saw me first time(one month ago..). A week. Then where some problems, but monday quitted another time...and that 80% because of me...
    thinking that the passive way of smoking is more agressive...

     
  • At 2/07/2007 8:35 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Luci, I have no personal program of getting others to quit smoking, except for my parents. Anyway, I do miss it all the time, I just also choose not to go back that path. As for smoking everywhere, even on hospital hallways, well Romania is such a place.

    Ryan, thanks for the links, quite good when delivering the message.

    Andy, thank you so much for your comment. The fact that changes are felt gives me hope. Your mom sounds like a really strong lady.

    George, thanks for the tip! Bullet really impressed me this time.

    Zu, you are right, they get deadly occupations :) But it is the easy way nonetheless.

    Omer, good luck with it and keep trying, maybe you succeed one day. Sorry, will do that asap (change the link).

    Sim, that is great, having such an impact on a friend. And also great of him to be so considerate.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.