Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Thursday, April 19, 2007
Reaction to Attempt to Suspend President Basescu
Traian Basescu will watch from the presidential palace the evolution of the Parliamentarian vote on his suspension and will hold a press conference tonight, after the procedure is completed.
Basescu said his resignation will be wrote as soon as the Parliament suspends him and will be submitted as soon as the Constitutional Court decides that the suspension procedure was properly conducted. Article from here.

The same news portal, HotNews, published an article on an attempt (Romanian only) to gather people for a protest in Piata Universitatii (University Plaza). The protest against Basescu's suspension is scheduled for today, at 6.30 pm.

From an older article:
The Constitutional Court (CCR) decided that Basescu's constitutional "deviations" are not of nature to cause his suspension as president, yet the final word belongs to the Parliament.
Well, I'm with the President on this one! I prefer him to the Parliament as they are all a bunch of backstabbers and they switch sides for any reason. The President might not be far from them, but he's got more points from me in the end.

I will be at the Opera at the time anyway...Better choice! I am seriously thinking of never voting again. I simply feel there is nothing to choose from.

Update!
It is done. President Basescu has been suspended. More in Romanian here and here. We are officially :presidentless", to quote Ryan.

Update 2!
A short note on the situation on EUobserver's News ticker.

Update 3!
President Traian Basescu participated in the spontaneous meeting in the University Square several hours after the Parliament voted in favor of his suspension on Thursday.

  • Photo gallery: Bucharest demonstrations

    The matter of the resignation - which Basescu promised to submit as soon as possible in the event of his suspension - remained unclear, as his only official statement in this regard was: “I will do what’s best for Romania”.
  • More here.

    Labels: , , ,

    posted by Alina @ 1:07 PM  
    5 Comments:
    • At 4/19/2007 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      Ok, so they voted for suspending the president. People are starting to gather in the University Square/Plaza (choose your pick) in Bucharest according to the news, and they plan to gather in the Union Square (Piata Unirii) in Iasi at around 18:30 according to mass messages on YM.

      I think it's time to show the Parliament who's really boss around here. Teach them that democracy means the will of the people, not "people say crazy shit, but we know better and do what we want, not what they want".

       
    • At 4/19/2007 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      What do you mean by never voting again? It's your right to say "I want that guy to steal from me as a citizen, not that one!" :) and you should use it. Otherwise, the others will decide in your place who to steal from you. Think about it.

       
    • At 4/19/2007 4:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      No, we're not "presidentless" yet. The decision still has to go by the Constitutional Court of Romania (CCR) and then be published in the Official Monitor. The CCR has 48 hours to formulate a verdict and it takes yet another day to publish it.

      And even after we're "presidentless", we still aren't without president. Either Vacaroiu or Olteanu (if Vacaroiu doesn't want the job) will become effective present until the next elections.

       
    • At 4/19/2007 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

      Bring me some light, sweetie. Why are they doing this? Don't they have better things to do? I know Mr. Basescu personally and I can understand why he made enough enemies but if we allow a bunch of corrupted politicians to suspend the man we voted for... J! What is happening in Romania? What political game is behind this strange actions? Who do they want to put instead? Any ideas?

       
    • At 4/19/2007 10:46 PM, Blogger Alina said…

      Radu, if we are without the president we have voted for out of some nonsense, then we are presidentless. The rest is not important. And yes, I refuse to vote if I have no valid pick and if my vote or the results of a vote do not really matter.

      Mig, I really don't get it. Anyway, if we have elections, of course Traian Basescu will win. There is no one else with his popularity. Unless some new shining star appears from God knows where. We shall wait and see. But this is far from being modern age politics. This sounds more like 4 year olds fighting over toys to me.

       
    Post a Comment
    << Home
     
    About Me

    Name: Alina
    Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
    About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
    See my complete profile
    ADS
    On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

    Previous Post
    My Reviews
    Recent Readers
    Blogroll and Other Links
    Blogroll&Hall of Fame
    Archives
    People Coming and Going
    Powered by

    BLOGGER

    Creative Commons License
    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.