Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Thursday, September 08, 2005
New keens
Every morning I enjoy my 20 something minutes of reading on my way to work. What’s not to enjoy? Underground train ride, people constantly bumping into you, no seats, no air, no room. But I somehow manage not to care about that. I open my book (like other people around me do with theirs or with their paper) and enjoy my short reading. Now interestingly colored by this bookmark I love (K brought it to me so this should be a good enough explanation which I’ll complete with a picture later on). Then I get off the train at the last stop along with hundreds of other people working in this area. I look at them and notice the same attitude, busy-in a hurry, got to get a snack, got to get a bottle of soda, got to get to work!

At work it gets more and more interesting every day. Everybody in the department is kinda cool and if you pay enough attention, you might learn something from all of them. So I discovered Sim has a blog in Spanish which was really refreshing (why do I feel like a blog groupie saying that???) and I discovered again people think I’m completely mesmerized with those I dislike. My reaction was no, no, no! Was I not obvious? But then I got to thinking about it. And I realized I only act unnatural about people I dislike. Why?

This is a scenario: a guy from work I cannot stand, an unchangeable reaction that feels so strong (although yesterday I decided I could allow him near me for about 5 minutes every week. He’s kinda smart, still sooooo fake!). The first time I saw him, I kept starring at him, being really quiet (that’s the only time I get to shut up). As deep down I believe not liking someone is bad, I do collect evidence to then hold everything against them and to reassure myself I am right to want to be on a different continent.

A colleague of mine from our beloved Journalism Faculty told me she changed jobs. She’s now working for a monthly magazine. Do they want part-timers? This was my first question. And I realized I wanted to write. Yeah, I am interested in a leisure column or something, something kinda metropolitan, something like “Sex and the city” but without that much sex and with a broader view on relationships (not just love relationships). I would also like to write more here, in my diary, in a novel sketch, in a script-to-be…Anywhere! I’m in a point in my life where I simply need writing as much as I need air.

About Sex and a City, Cris and I decided we should copy a good habit in that series: a weekend morning girls’ outing to chit-chat, relax and have coffee or something. It’s just the two of us for now, but we’re hoping to convince other women to join. We don’t have a clear picture of who to advertise this to, but never mind that. It’s the thought that counts (just as the fact that the road to hell is paved with good intentions does not count at the moment).

I am daily thinking about my final paper (journalism) and which teacher to do it with. I am just thinking cause when it gets to actually doing something, I find something more important to catch my eye. But hey, that is, in the end, just another form of writing…
posted by Alina @ 6:58 AM  
13 Comments:
  • At 9/08/2005 10:30 AM, Blogger S A J Shirazi said…

    Keen observers are always rewarded with some thing big at usual places like riding in train. You will sure hit that. keep your ears and eyes tunned up.

     
  • At 9/08/2005 12:50 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Very true, Shirazi! But my times of just hanging and observing people are very few lately. Most of the times I am in a hurry and busy with somethig else. I miss just having coffee with a friend and observing those around me or looking at those who pass in a park. Train rides are, as I said, dedicated to another keen of mine, reading.

     
  • At 9/09/2005 7:15 AM, Blogger S A J Shirazi said…

    Observation, listening, and reading has always helped me. Without using these three senses, I would not have been able to write a thing.

     
  • At 9/09/2005 10:37 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    That is very true, you cannot just write without any background!

     
  • At 9/09/2005 12:31 PM, Blogger Digital Writing said…

    Bolero magazine (www.bolero.ro) needs an editor and a beauty editor, but part-timers are not their first option...

    As for the thesis, I can help you, depending on the subject you choose, but let me know in advance cause I have to do it together with another professor.

     
  • At 9/09/2005 1:11 PM, Blogger doshar said…

    this sex and the city habit is really good. i would like to do it too.

     
  • At 9/09/2005 1:42 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Thanks, George! I really haven't picked any subject yet (actually I dropped the one I was interested in)! So I would really appreciate all the help I can get! But I think it's better to send you an email message on this.
    About Bolero and other monthly magazines, I really do not get it! Maybe I am crazy, but tell me, what could you do there 8 hour/day, every day??? Write the whole magazine on your own? Maybe it is just because I spent too much time in a press monitoring agency and got a twisted idea about writing speed :)

    Doshar, I guess it will turn out to be great. You should defenitely try it!

     
  • At 9/09/2005 7:28 PM, Blogger Digital Writing said…

    Well, think about what you are interested in and let me know, we can work it out and narrow the search. just a hint: this year, we had two thesis on blogs and one on discussion groups so... :-)

    as for Bolero, sometimes I'm asking them the same question. it seems that, since they are part of a foreign group, Ringier, they also write for sister (or brother) magazines. or they go out to research (really, that takes a lot of time, for example if you want to make a poll about something among men on the streets) etc.

     
  • At 9/09/2005 9:30 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Yeah, I knew about the blog thess, Matei's at least. Sounds great, we can talk about it.

    As for the magazine...Well, tough luck for now, I'm not interested in it a main activity field, I like the job I now have and am not going to change it. I will prospect the market though, maybe some magazines still believe in part timers! :)

     
  • At 9/10/2005 5:33 AM, Blogger Rain said…

    :) I thought it was just me who does that(observing and listening) .. but seems it's a very popular habit .

     
  • At 9/10/2005 7:10 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Yup, it is indeed very common, at least for some "connections" of this blog. Haal even has some great posts dedicated to things she observed while having her coffee by herself.

     
  • At 9/21/2005 10:37 PM, Blogger Patry Francis said…

    Hi Kayla, I have been enjoying reading your blog, vicariously living the life of a joyful twenty-three year old in Romania. Keep writing!

     
  • At 9/22/2005 6:43 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Hi Francis, I'm trying to keep writing :). I'm glad you enjoy my blog and I hope I'll keep giving you reasons to.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.