Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Friday, December 16, 2005
On loosing interest
My colleague Monica has recently started her own blog, as you all know from my previous post. Her first post made me really happy, someone in my class that used to be very close to me, maybe this will bring us closer again, even in a virtual way.

Yet she talked about the deception she had had with Journalism. Been there, done that! We all came at that university hoping to achieve great things, loving every minute of what we did! Yes, we loved the old cameras that would stop working when you needed them the most, we also loved the fact that we were expected to do an amazing job when filming, although we only touched the cameras once a year. We loved processing our first back and white pictures, although they really were not that great. We loved going to press conferences and wondering if they’d let us in and then striving to get something decent written. And then monitoring newspapers and magazines, making papers and projects, learning new things, some more important then others.

And at a certain point along the way, we lost interest in these whole journalistic dreams! Why? When exactly? What was it that made us give up on journalism and find something better to do? I can’t really tell…Maybe certain teachers that had no place being there, while the good ones war badly treated… Maybe the reality of the journalistic world in Romania. Something like that might happen to you when you work as an editor for a press monitoring agency and you see the amount of stupidity in newspapers or when you organize press conferences and see how journalists just copy the press release you translates and prepared in hours of hard work. What second source?

Well, the thing is, we found a way to express ourselves in a blog; write, but not always in a journalistic way. Stay in touch with our skills! The passion and dream was never gone, we just keep it inside, as a dear memory that sometimes was the main purpose of our lives…

My dad once asked me why I wasn’t afraid I’d also loose interest in tourism. Well, I replied, easy answer. I came here because I was interested in tourism, but never expected too much of the university. I just wanted some tools to learn, not mentors!

I was standing in line to day, waiting to pay my second tax for this year (there are enormous queues to pay the tax, especially near the end of the tax payment period), and was listening to this girl in the 3rd year. She was very disappointed in our faculty, said she couldn’t wait to finish. She had been accepted by a state university in Timisoara (she was from Deva, a town much more closer to Timisoara than to Bucharest), but her father said she would have a better future in Bucharest. It was the capital city nonetheless. So she came with her hopes and dreams yet stated all she got from coming to Bucharest was a disappointing school and lots of work that was compulsory to pay the bills.

Another girl asked her to pay the tax for a group mate of hers. She said no! I was a bit surprised at first, but then she continued “We’re in the same group yet he never bothers to say hello to me! I might not have the money to wear clothes approved by the latest fashion judges, but that is really no reason not to say hello to me!” And then I thought she was right not to help him. I would do the same! I was never a fan of the latest trend, simply because I have seen it as the latest uniform…they all had it! So in the second and partially third year of high-school I made not wearing blue jeans my goal! I was never treated like that, but was it because they needed me as I was best (and second best when I was lazy) in the class? Or because I had such a personal style? Who cares…

That story this girl told made me think of something: the Journalism University was the place where you could find the least amount of prejudice! At least in my group! We all were a little crazy/funky at times! And quite open minded! This attitude I miss the most as it really isn’t there at my new school.
posted by Alina @ 5:10 PM  
8 Comments:
  • At 12/16/2005 8:50 PM, Blogger LouLou said…

    Kayla,

    Well am sorry you lost interest in journalism. I think you write well & this is a great blog. You should try to branch out a bit & get into journalism from blogging. A lot of bloggers seem to do that.

    I remember you writing before about giving up on writing novels.:(

    And yes people who judge others on fashion standards are idiots who don't deserve to be given the time of day.

     
  • At 12/17/2005 1:28 AM, Blogger Bart Treuren said…

    sometimes life just changes, and with it the choices we made change also... it's not a problem, it's an enrichment because you get to view humanity with totally different eyes in different contexts...

    keep well...

     
  • At 12/17/2005 1:48 AM, Blogger tota said…

    You shouldnt lose ur Dream while u r still in the middle of the road Kayla

    things change & who knows, maybe you will be such a famous Journalist & we all say this is Kayla who we enjoyed dropping by her blog as were so happy of her drop at ours as well :)

    as long as u r doing your best, things will be much better soon, and dont try to let others disappoint you or move your eyes from the sight u have been dreaming

     
  • At 12/17/2005 9:03 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Lou, that's what I've actually been doing: use the blog to fulfill my need of writing and expressing myself. And I am going to keep on doing it! :)

    True, they don't, what amazes me is that there are so many in this school! I didn't quite realize it before, maybe because I was lucky enough to be in a pretty great group again!

    Bart, I've been seeing it as an enrichment lately, and I really do not regret my choices. But I do think it is a shame so many passionate potential journalists lost their intrest.

    Tota, what you said is just beautiful! I didn't give up on my dream, actually I sent a cv to a media group (I finally found one offering part time!). If they accept me, well, I don't know how I'll handle two jobs and school, but I'll figure out a way! :)

     
  • At 12/19/2005 6:03 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Yeah, you are right! A clear analysis on this is required!

     
  • At 12/20/2005 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    mhh.. romanian was much more easier to me, but i guess everyone needs to understand. about the journalism... well, i consider it's a great job. about the university, i have no idea. you don't learn it from teachers and crappy old lessons, you learn it on the field, when you arrive on a peasant's house because his child killed some other. and you see that look on his face: "you damn shit, i'm gonna kick your ass! whatcha doin' here, not lettin' me alone with my pain?".
    this is just a simple example. been there, done that. when i came in bucharest i realized that it's too hard to get a job at a newspaper. very hard. u get there only if you have big connections (applies on television - Realitatea TV is the best example - been there too) or pure luck.
    instead, i found a job at a media monitoring agency. and yes, it is as you say. you get headaches seeing all that stupidity.
    being a reporter is more than a journalism degree. my ex-boss asked me (interview crap) if i have a call for this. i said i didn't know. now i'm sure you need it. or, who knows, maybe i'm just naive...

     
  • At 12/20/2005 5:48 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    A call? Yeah, in some cases. Yet I have to tell you, what you learn in school (uni) is very important, more important than outsiders realize. You learn more when you have to go cover a conference with no contacts and no credentials than when you flash a journalist badge. What you learn there is important, it does not make you a perfect journalist, but if sure helps you get good at it faster.

     
  • At 12/21/2005 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    actually, they don't learn you in school what to ask and how to ask and when to ask. u can have 10 journalism schools, if you can't ask a good question ("ProTV: how are you feeling?"), you're a biz zero. of course, there are a few things you learn in school. theory. but if you have no practice during the school ("uni"), when you finish it... well, i'd rather shut up.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.