Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Tuesday, May 23, 2006
Book Meme
Tagged by Ali, a long time ago....

3 most influential books in my life;

  • Cezar Petrescu, Fram, ursul polar (Fram, the Polar Bear) – the first book I have ever read, when I was 5 and something. Still think in awe of the tiger tamer who put her head in the most dangerous tiger’s mouth.
  • Karl May, Winnetou, it introduced me to the adventure readings of my class’ boys club, which then continued with Alexadre Dumas. It was also the first book that made me want to travel and fight the bad guys. I also wanted to be Winnetou’s “queen” and kick everyone’s ass, but that is just the childish part of it :)
  • Mircea Eliade, Maitreyi, the most beautiful love story I have ever read, all in the magnificent Indian background of poetry and philosophy

3 books I’ve read more than once:

I don’t really read books more than once. The only exceptions are the books I read and then had to re-read for school or university, to refresh the details.. As it is not something chosen by me, won’t mention them here.

3 great books I personally hated:

  • Boccaccio, The Decameron – found it quite boring
  • Sade, Justine – finished it out of curiosity, how much worse can a life get, still thought it was awful…
  • Ioan Slavici, Mara – really hated it, had to read it though…

3 pure pleasures:

  • Garcia Marquez, One hundred years of solitude
  • Mircea Cartarescu, Orbitor
  • DH Lawrence, Women in Love

3 great books I should have read but haven’t yet

  • Dostoyevsky, Crime and Punishment
  • Mario Vargas Llosa, any book by him
  • Garcia Marquez, Love in the Time of Cholera

3 books I ordered, bought actually

  • The Dead Sea Scrolls
  • Sartre, Les Mots, La Nausee

Yeah, been pretty lazy on buying books as I received some great ones on my birthday :)

Will tag Bart, Alex, and who ever else is interested.

posted by Alina @ 8:35 PM  
10 Comments:
  • At 5/23/2006 9:29 PM, Blogger Safiya Outlines said…

    Interesting choices. I also loved One Hundred Years of Solitude and I'm still meaning to get round to Love in the Time of Cholera. My favourite description of Garcia Marquez's work is that it's like Christmas cake, very rich and densely packed with detail. What do you think?

     
  • At 5/23/2006 10:11 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Owzy, really glad to see you around here! What can I say, time I don't really have, I read in the metro and blog whenever I get the chance :) Hope you will be back in business as soon as possible!

    Safyia, the description is quite interesting. Yet what I appreciated most was the touch of humor behind it all and the fairytail-like fantasy of certain happenings.

     
  • At 5/24/2006 6:08 AM, Blogger S A J Shirazi said…

    Wonderful picks!

     
  • At 5/24/2006 9:05 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Thanks, Shi! Tempted by the meme? :D

     
  • At 5/26/2006 5:23 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Thank you, Sarah, you too! :)

     
  • At 5/27/2006 1:27 PM, Blogger Ali Ambrosio said…

    Alina,

    I just realized I haven't read ANY of the books on your list!

    I wish I had a bookshop with a good selection near me...

    Have a great day.

     
  • At 5/28/2006 2:26 AM, Blogger Safiya Outlines said…

    Completely off the subject, but does anyone know where "Girls Out Loud" has gone. I think someone has deleted it but I don't know how. :-(

     
  • At 5/29/2006 10:55 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Ali, I haven't read any of your books either, I was just planning to read some of them :) So we are even.

    Safiya, you are right, please drop by here and tell me what you think:
    http://girlsblogosphereclub.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 6/01/2006 10:19 PM, Blogger Bart Treuren said…

    hi alina,

    i'll follow on from ali here, the only book in your list i've read was crime and punishment by whats-his-name (forgotten how to spell it :P )

    i'll take you up on the list as soon as possible, i seem to be surfacing again for the meantime, but i'm feeling so horridly tired at moments, it's no fun...

     
  • At 6/02/2006 9:06 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Well, Bart, there are 3-4 books in Romanian...but if you want to, you can find versions in English or French for most of them. :)

    Also, I hope you'll start feeling better soon and that you will complete the tag when you have time for it.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.