Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Monday, July 03, 2006
Can you believe the arrogance?
There’s this annoying billboard ad that I see each time K and I go to a movie. I’ve been meaning to write about it, but it simply didn’t piss me off enough until now.

The ad is for the local edition of Yellow Pages and is says “It looks like a book, but it is actually good for something”. Bravo! Literature, science, economy, physics, psychology, history and all the other unimportant subjects that lead to more books being written, here is the truth! If you don’t help people find phone numbers and don’t charge enormous prices for personalized ads, you are good to be thrown away and never be seen again!

I do have to wonder, the company/person writing this ad, did he/she think for a second? Or this great slogan was just puked out of his/her completely lacked of imagination brain? Was it a sad attempt to irony? Was it a desperate act of getting attention? No matter how long I think about it, I still think saying books are useless is plain dumbness.

posted by Alina @ 7:04 PM  
12 Comments:
  • At 7/04/2006 8:06 PM, Blogger Curly said…

    Ha! Some adverts are just so thoughtless aren't they?!

    My favourite is in Zoolander where he's a Mer-man and he says "Water... is the essence... of moisture" - It just highlights how ridiculous most of these adverts are. I refuse to watch them now, I can't believe that people fall for them time and time again, it makes me so angry!! ha!

     
  • At 7/05/2006 8:29 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    True, Curly, some of them are plain stupid. It is impossible not to come in contact with advertisments, but if I have to, I would prefer some smart, catchy ones, not those making a goal from reaching the limist of stupidity!

     
  • At 7/05/2006 9:17 AM, Blogger Sou said…

    Hey K, Books are useless AS IF..
    I guess he/she was looking a catchy phrase and it just hit him..
    Would have plenty of good ideas if he readed a lot to though

     
  • At 7/05/2006 10:13 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Welcome back, girl! Thanks so much for dropping by, was a little worried about you!

     
  • At 7/05/2006 4:25 PM, Blogger Ali Ambrosio said…

    Unbelievable! I wonder how much this fool got paid...

    Your turkish food sounds yummy.

     
  • At 7/05/2006 6:40 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    My guess is a lot of money...And the food tasted even yummier :D

     
  • At 7/05/2006 7:18 PM, Blogger ZeroViu said…

    I starving :))

     
  • At 7/05/2006 7:42 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    C'mon, can't be that bad :D

     
  • At 7/05/2006 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I admit it's a stupid phrase, but this generaly happens in Adverstising. Write something that catches your attention and that people will remember, no matter if it doesn't have any substance.

     
  • At 7/05/2006 10:10 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Still I find it disappointing that people tend to surrender to shallow solutions...

     
  • At 7/23/2006 4:18 AM, Blogger Safiya Outlines said…

    Just saw this post and I thought you would like it :)
    http://www.adblogarabia.com/?p=215

     
  • At 7/23/2006 10:15 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Thanks for the link! Did enjoy the post quite a lot! :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.