Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Thursday, March 08, 2007
International Women's Day
This day is celebrated on March 8. It was supposed to have a highly economical and political meaning, celebrating women's accomplishment in several fields.

According to Wikipedia, "it is a major day of global celebration for the economic, political and social achievements of women. Started as a political event, the holiday blended in the culture of many countries (primarily Russia and the countries of former Soviet bloc). In some celebrations, the day lost its political flavour, and became simply an occasion for men to express their sympathy and love to the women around them - somewhat similar to Western Mother's Day and St Valentine's Day mixed together. In others, however, the political and human rights theme as designated by the United Nations runs strong, and political and social awareness of the struggles of women worldwide are brought out and examined in a hopeful manner". Read more here.

My memories of celebrating this day involve complicated school projects to make our own cards. I guess all Romanians can remember the child's photo in a circle with nice little poem and a childish signature pattern!

I remember my mom coming home with lots of flowers, and giving flowers to our teachers. I remember the smiles and the joy mostly.

I got flowers from some of my colleagues today. Spring flowers and yes, my favorite flowers, roses. I couldn't help smiling for about half an hour after getting to work. So here are my flowers for all my women friends and readers. Enjoy!

Labels: , ,

posted by Alina @ 11:39 AM  
4 Comments:
  • At 3/08/2007 3:03 PM, Blogger Om Luji said…

    In the Middle East we don't celebrate Women's Day at all. It doesn't exist on our calendar. That may give you a hint on the condition of women in our society.

    BTW, you've been tagged: http://omluji.blogspot.com/2007/03/tagged.html

     
  • At 3/08/2007 3:09 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    In Romania, we don't celebrate father's day. It does not exist. That does not mean men hold a less important place in our society.

    We do celebrate Women's day, but that again does not mean women and men have equal chances.

    But this is indeed the first time I heard about no women/mother's day in the Middle East. I don't know how bad that is, but i certainly would not like it if I lived there.

     
  • At 3/12/2007 10:51 AM, Blogger Cristina Banu said…

    This is the first year when I have been upset on Women's Day because my bf forgot to buy me a present
    :( This comment is meant to give him a bad publicity :))

     
  • At 3/12/2007 10:55 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Sorry to hear that wife! But you know, he might have not known about it. It's not like it's a big day in all countries. :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.