Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Thursday, June 14, 2007
Reach for the Sky!
At work, we have this public folder where joke-like emails are sent. Jokes, interesting and funny photos, everything you need for a quick break from work stress. Well, today one of the emails contained photos and details about building to be built, all having one thing in common: their strive to be the tallest in the world. I don't know which is the source of the photos, therefore no references.
Burj Dubai - tallest land structure by 2010 - estimated height of 818/1011 m (depending on sources)
Tower of Russia - Moscow - will be finished by late 2010 - 648 m (2,129 ft) height.
Incheon Tower in Seoul - to be completed in 2010- planned to rise to 640 m.

Impressive indeed. But I cannot help having a weird feeling that this is all the Babylon story all over again. While spirituality is neglected to reality facts such as net income, productivity, technological breakthroughs, we still strive to get closer to the sky. And using what we already know to get higher and higher seems the most in handy possibility.

Labels: , ,

posted by Alina @ 4:36 PM  
3 Comments:
  • At 6/14/2007 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Forget about the sky. Think that Taipei 101 is thought to have reactivated an earthquake fault because of its weight and the pressure it puts on a compact area on the ground.

     
  • At 6/15/2007 10:41 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Well, Radu, that kind of proves my point. As the tower of Babylon eventually perished.

     
  • At 6/17/2007 2:00 PM, Blogger loloma said…

    Hmmm... I am scared of heights, so I don't think you'll see me in any of those buildings. :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.