Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Thursday, August 04, 2005
No specific topic, as usual...
I finally had a good night sleep last night! A simple recipe, if you’re wondering: a nice little message after a really light outing with two girlfriends. So, no anonymous, I am not pregnant! The world can take a deep breath as there won’t be two of my kind running around that soon! I plan for it to happen, eventually, but I still have some problems taking care of my own.

About my outing…Cris and I wanted to go get something to eat (I hadn’t eaten anything the whole day) when her friend Iza called, telling her she was waiting at the University Plaza. Cris had totally forgotten about that meeting, so we met Iza somewhere in the campus. Then went to this nice terrace and had some salad and drank still mineral water with a twist! My Romanian friends can notice the similarity with the Zapp Mobile advertisement “The group of the top models that only drink still mineral water with a twist salutes Zapp!” The truth is none of us was in the mood for something else…

Two guys Iza knew joined us for a short while. Cris and I didn’t like them that much, they were too much for the quiet get-together we had in mind…But, as Cristina concluded “they left quickly, we kind of ignored them and one of them actually told us some cool jokes”. The truth was I really didn’t fancy meeting new people, I would have preferred a different company. My anti-social moments are rare, but still they exist.

The three of us, girls, stayed a little longer and then we all went our separate ways. Just before saying good-bye to Iza, the text I was talking about completely changed my mood.

This morning I actually ate something at around 9 am. That’s like the first time in a week that I don’t have only one quick meal at about 6 pm. I guess I’m getting used to the heat…

People are actually swimming in the Dambovita river! How can they, the water is so dirty? One day, while walking home, I saw this homeless teenagers bathing in the river. They were two guys and a girl. The girl frightened me a little – topless in the middle of the city…No matter how fashionable that may be on the Romanian seaside (yes, a lot of girls like it around here!), it seemed wrong in the middle of the city. Most of these girls end up pregnant and give birth to homeless children. And I do have to wonder, what chance to a normal life do these children have? Someone should do something about it! Help them somehow…Someone? That should include me, I guess! Do something for a change, stop expecting others to do it! I probably should look for some organization and volunteer or something…Or at least write posts about these organizations or articles or something…

I feel very useless, socially speaking. I’ve never really gotten involved in something like that. I thought about it, once I was really close to go offer my help to a shelter for children, but changed my mind because I knew nothing about how I should act around them. No one is born wise, we all learn…

The only useful thing I did was writing a paper on feminist organizations in Romania. I discovered they do pretty amazing things, like building shelters for abused women and children. Then I monitored the papers. There are no daily national newspapers focusing on their work. Maybe it’s time I did more!
posted by Alina @ 1:42 PM  
13 Comments:
  • At 8/04/2005 2:27 PM, Blogger Bart Treuren said…

    don't worry... all of us are pretty useless socially until we learn the skills to do something about it, but before that need to just learn to see what's going on in the first place...

    in the end... we live, we learn, we fall flat on our faces, we get up and start again... thats all...
    (and we help pick up others when they fall occasionally...)

     
  • At 8/04/2005 2:34 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    At a certain point, this "occasionally" should turn into "often" or something like that!
    Bart, you didn't tell me what you thought of the recipe! :))

     
  • At 8/04/2005 2:47 PM, Blogger Bart Treuren said…

    ohhh... i would like that too, a nice little message after an outing with two girlfriends :))

     
  • At 8/04/2005 3:01 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Bart, you are sooo funny!

     
  • At 8/04/2005 4:29 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    No, Irina, just a message...But I wouldn't mind a massage! :))

    OK, let's try to do something together, at least research the issue...What do you think?

     
  • At 8/04/2005 4:40 PM, Blogger Bart Treuren said…

    i'm game, if you are :))

    yep, and i'm into the changing the world thing too but still am having more than enough difficulty with myself first... sigh...

     
  • At 8/04/2005 4:44 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    "still am having more than enough difficulty with myself first... sigh... " - Don't we all have? If you find out how to deal with that, please let me know! :)

     
  • At 8/04/2005 5:51 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    Kayla, do you have time, or are their opportunities where you live, to do a little volunteer work? For example, with children?

    Sometimes that can give you an idea of whether a certain line of work might be right for you or not.

     
  • At 8/04/2005 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kayla, as you know I'm new to your blog. Most of your friends are Egyptians as I've noticed. have you been to Egypt before?

    And btw, I feel socially useless too!

    Marwa

     
  • At 8/04/2005 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    didn't you said "I still have some problems taking care of my own"? so how do you want to help somebody if you can take care of you? or you can not take care of you because you don't want to face your real problem? clean up you life and then think to others

     
  • At 8/04/2005 11:38 PM, Blogger Bart Treuren said…

    occasionally i think, helping other people IN SPITE OF ONESELF is a commendable quality... we are all so terribly human, we're all completly inadequate in our own ways but just reaching out and trying to do whatever possible is the most important thing...

    mistakes will be made, but intentions are good and that's what is most important (to my mind)

    keep well...

     
  • At 8/05/2005 12:08 AM, Blogger Bokbok said…

    Anonymous,

    unselfish and considerate people exist!

    cheers!

     
  • At 8/05/2005 11:43 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Ok, Irina, will wait for u to get back! Maybe I’ll already be involved in something by then! : )

    Paul, I can always find opportunities if I look for them! So I would definitely try as soon as I make the time for it.

    No, Marwa, I’ve never been to Egypt. Would love to though! I got to Haal’s blog by mistake, and discovering the Egyptian blogosphere followed that happy coincidence.

    Anonymous 1 – I did say all that! Also was talking about having a child of my own right now, while I’m still studying and trying to build a career. I don’t know if you have any idea what kind of commitment that means, but to me it is a huge one! A lot more than volunteering a few hours a week.
    Besides, I never said I was incapable of taking care of myself! I have minor problems, but I have my parents to give me advice, support and anything they can…Other are not that fortunate, therefore might need my help, no matter how insignificant that help my seem to you!
    I have been facing my real problems all my life! I don’t really run from them, you know! I’ve been leaving in Bucharest for years now and have been working for three to be able to take care of myself and stop depending so much on my parents. But as you seem to think my life is such a big mess, could you tell me what do you see that is so wrong about it?

    True Irina, forgiving yourself is so great when it finally happens!

    Bart, you never cease to surprise me! You’re either very funny, either very deep, but always so right!

    Bokbok, they do exist and I hope to be one of them, at least from time to time!

    Thanks Jade, will try to think of it that way!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.