Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Friday, August 25, 2006
I will stick to my sweet caffeine for now!

Today, on my way to work, I was thinking of quit drinking Coca-Cola. I drink too much coffee and too much coke, with no visible effect (i.e. it does not keep me awake). And then I thought why would I give up my only vice that makes my office hours prettier? I mean I do not smoke, I hardly ever drink any alcohol (mostly an occasional beer or breezers of some sort), I don’t gamble or anything like that. But I am addicted to sweetened caffeine.

Some guy I know used to say that the sum of vices is always constant for one person. Therefore, if you quit one bad habit, you will get another. Therefore, if you quit smoking you pick up something else. Not necessarily true, as I quit smoking a few years ago and still didn’t find a replacement for it.

However, it might be applied to things you need to keep up your good mood throughout the day. For example, right now I love my morning metro reading, my beagle from the subway station to the office, my Coca Cola bottle and my occasional coffee. If any of these is prevented in some way: subway train too crowded, too little time to get the coke, I’m still ok but I do feel a little tiny bit of stress getting stored somewhere.

Add that to the little sleep I got this week, to the annoying try of finding a proper gym to do some aerobics, and things might get nasty at some point. Therefore I decided not to deprive myself of the little daily pleasures I seem to enjoy that much.

posted by Alina @ 10:54 AM  
13 Comments:
  • At 8/26/2006 12:43 AM, Blogger Bart Treuren said…

    i hope you're not serious about the beagle, my dear... i prefer bagels myself :P

    seriously though, i understand what's going on... life's too short to have to bother with the serious and sensible stuff occasionally, we all need something just to give us a bit of a "kick"...

    as they say, the nicest things in life are either illegal, immoral or fattening (in no particular order ;-) )

    keep well...

     
  • At 8/26/2006 2:20 AM, Blogger Safiya Outlines said…

    I like they way you put that you "feel a tiny bit of stress getting stored somewhere". It is indeed lots of little things that can make a day go from bearable to enjoyable.

     
  • At 8/26/2006 2:25 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Bart :)) yeah, I don't particularly like eating houds, will edit the text later :) That kick, unfortunately, is really something I need these days, as I feel so tired and cannot put up with more stress than needed.

    Safiya, that is very true. It's all in the details! :)

     
  • At 8/26/2006 12:31 PM, Blogger Mourad said…

    Greetings from Egypt.. just ran into this blog..
    Caffeine is great :)

     
  • At 8/26/2006 3:30 PM, Blogger G a m a l said…

    just listening to a piece of music by nassir shamma will make a real difference surely :)

     
  • At 8/27/2006 11:03 AM, Blogger Sou said…

    Dont try to give up things that makes u happy. Things will start pilling up and trust me it will sneak up on u.
    Be good and enjoy what makes u happy.

     
  • At 8/28/2006 9:36 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    The Falafel Diaries, thanks so much for stopping by. Yes, it really is.

    G a m a l, I really don't know him or his music...But I will try to find one song and try listening to it.

    Sarah, indeed I am planning to enjoy them. :)

     
  • At 8/28/2006 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    For many of us, there is a place for caffeine, but I totally understand what you're saying.

    I've had to wean myself off of Coke a least twice in my life. Now I just drink it occasionally, usually when I need a "kick." I'll drink Coke in the morning instead of coffee.

    I don't overdo coffee, but I did have a cup this morning. :-)

    I drink the "gourmet" coffees (like Starbucks) sparingly. You can get hooked on that stuff!

     
  • At 8/28/2006 6:00 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Naomi, true, Starbucks coffee is great. However, there is no Starbucks in Romania, I only had a cup in Istanbul :(

     
  • At 8/28/2006 10:27 PM, Blogger MoonLightShadow said…

    Was talking today with a colleague of mine about a similar issue. He is addicted to shisha (Water pipe) which I believe is very unhealthy, and was telling him that he should cut down his weekly smoking of it. He disagreed saying that it acts as a stress release for him. There should be a substitute for him to be able to stop it. however, all the non active options we thought of were all unhealthy. I wonder which should we choose, unhealthy ways of stress release or baring that stress for keeping our health?!

     
  • At 8/29/2006 7:13 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Moon, stress does get you sick, eventually. So I guess there is no right and complete solution to such an issue.

     
  • At 8/29/2006 2:43 PM, Blogger Ali Ambrosio said…

    I say if the caffeine is obviously doing you harm (physical or mental) then kick it. If not, enjoy your small pleasure, be it a coca-cola or a coffee.

    I love my less harmful vices, like too much tea and a glass of red wine. I figure if these are what is necessary to keep me from larger vices, and at the same time they afford me a moment of pleasure, so be it!

     
  • At 8/30/2006 9:15 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Ali, given I was practically asleep since Friday, caffeine was the only thing keeping me going...:)

    As for your vices, quite harmless indeed!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.