Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Bucharest, Happy Anniversary!

Capital of the Walachian and Moldavian region united under the name of the Romanian state since 1862, Bucharest celebrates today 547 from its first mentioning in an official document.

Vlad Tepes, also known as the Impaler or Dracula (let’s thank Bram Stocker for that), mentioned Bucharest in a letter dating from 1459. He built a fortress in Bucharest to hold back the Turks threatening the Walachian state. For more historical details, visit this link.

The event will be celebrated for three days, graffiti, movies, concerts, theatre plays and medieval art being included in the program. More details in this Evenimentul Zilei article.

Picture originally uploaded by Evenimentul Zilei.

For more views of Bucharest, please also see this older photopost of mine.

Tags: Bucharest, Romania, Anniversaries, Events
posted by Alina @ 4:24 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 9/20/2006 7:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a history! Happy annniversary.

     
  • At 9/20/2006 7:16 PM, Blogger yaser said…

    Great city and great history
    And the pics in your photopost makes me really want to visit this wonderful place.
    happy anniversary!

     
  • At 9/21/2006 7:56 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Quite a history indee, Shi.

    Yaser, then come pay us a vist! Anytime is good, but spring to autumn is way better.

     
  • At 9/26/2006 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Glad to find your blog. I am from the central USA, but have been privileged to visit Romania twice - 98 and 00. Made many wonderful friends in Bucharest and Sighisoara. Had a Bucharest friend who grew up in Ploiesti. Thoughts of places that meant much to me still sometimes grip my heart. Thanks for renewing those memories!

     
  • At 9/26/2006 7:13 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Remembering old friends is always special. Glad I could give you a hand with that, Monte. And thanks for your visit.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.