Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Thursday, September 14, 2006
Keys and Baby Food
I read something today about the experience of small kids who had the house keys around their neck. That they were afraid of not losing it, that it tasted bad and that it was a huge responsibility on their shoulders.

I forgot this bad part about the experience. I remember playing outside with my key round my neck, on some red piece of something (couldn’t tell what material it was to save my life). I also remember the pride I was now big enough to have the key and to play outside before the parents came from work.

If I’m not mistaken, this used to happen when I was around 7 or 8 and it did not last long. My mom decided it was better to spend the afternoon at some friends’ house who could take care of me and make sure I ate properly at lunch time. I hated it…Couldn’t go home like the rest of my friends, had to go there! However, I only hated it on the way to their house, not once I entered.

They had this nice aquarium with golden colored huge fishes that I loved staring at. They also had a small child that I could play with, when she was not crying or sleeping. I also got to feed her and eat half of the baby food because it tasted sooo good. And of course, it was a mystery for everybody why the baby girl ate everything at her next meal. I knew!

I even made my mom, who I dared confess my sin to, buy me that baby food. Milupa banana flavored, if you must know, and used to have a bowl each afternoon. She only bought it once, as she refused to keep feeding baby food to me. So I continued stealing from time to time.

I stopped craving for baby food after we moved and I was coming straight home after school. I would still eat that food today, if it weren’t for the fact I cannot find the exact type anymore. And the prejudice that a grown up cannot possibly eat that!

posted by Alina @ 2:55 PM  
8 Comments:
  • At 9/15/2006 5:11 AM, Blogger No_the_game said…

    Alina,

    I must confess that I sometimes buy baby food here. I sometimes snick it to work :) HAHA

    Nice post

    With Love,
    NO_THE_GAME

     
  • At 9/15/2006 8:08 AM, Blogger Naomi said…

    My daughter developed an affection for baby food when she was about 10. She also wore a key around her neck for a time.

    I love this post.

     
  • At 9/15/2006 4:43 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    No The Game, thanks for the visit. Glad you liked the post, I guess I will try the same one day :))

    Naomi, I was about 8 or 9, so the age is quite in the same range. Sure glad you liked my post.

     
  • At 9/15/2006 6:02 PM, Blogger loloma said…

    OK, I must confess to never eating baby food. That is, never having eaten since I stopped being a baby. ;) But I do remember the part about the key. In hindsight, it does seem a bit of a dangerous practice, doesn't it?

     
  • At 9/16/2006 12:46 AM, Blogger Bart Treuren said…

    the children we used to be were so flexible and so trusting, so much happened around us that we had no idea of and yet we grew up to to intelligent, responsible and worthwhile adults...

    there were/are no rules when bringing up children... one does one's best and that's all that can be done, mistakes are made (inevitably) but those mistakes are so often (but not always) seeding points on which children can grow...

    i loved reading about your experiences with baby food... my youngest, katie (now 10), still would prefer those at any time even though most adults find the experience too bland...

    thanks for sharing, alina... i appreciated this post :D

    keep well...

     
  • At 9/16/2006 10:43 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Loloma, it was. And for some it was a pain as loosing the key meant punishment. I don't remember such a side to it though.

    Bart, it is true, there were far less rules and restrictions on sight. They existed, but we felt them differently I guess. Or parents were more relaxed...Dunno, my mom never called me an idiot for doing something wrong when I was three while she wasn't watching, as I've seen young parents doing today. Mine were watching when they were with me...

    As for baby food, you must admit, it's quite good :D

     
  • At 9/16/2006 11:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'd try baby food:) when I run out of chocolate.
    Nice post, it made me remember about the time I was 7 and started to keep the key with me (not around the neck though or at least I don't remember this part).
    Some studies relate the fact that the persons who had this experience from such a young age develop faster into responsible, independend and mature individuals. However I do not agree with this study :)

    Cris

     
  • At 9/16/2006 11:13 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    True, chocolate is a great substitute. But I think I will have to reduce everything of what I love soon...So, I guess will stick to baby food :D

    You should agree with it. Look around you to people who cannot find their keys :D

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.