Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Thursday, September 07, 2006
So you like books?

The autumn exam session has come and is now gone. Only one for me, the one I couldn’t get to (but had studied for it, ironic?). So took it today, with less studying than previously (knew all types of exercises, about 10 of them but not that much theory) and paid 20 euros for this treat. Because, yes, within my beloved second university, you have to pay if you flunk or miss an exam, regardless of the reason.

Anyway, as I was giving my paper to the teacher, I had to also show him the paid bill, so I took it out of the book I was reading. It was Mircea Eliade, India. He was surprised. “You like Eliade?” “Yes, among others”… “Which of his works have you read”. Said about 4 titles. He was somehow surprised, I could feel it. A student reading? A student reading and coming to autumn session? Good questions as he did not know I was older than most and did not flunk his exam.

Still, why is it so surprising that some students read books. Yes, few of new colleagues actually do it, but this was almost the same in high-school: some used to read, some didn’t. When exactly did those reading become an ever surprising minority? Riding the metro or the bus, I am surprised that I actually see lots of people carrying books and reading them. So to what do I owe this awe?

Going back to “India”, I usually don’t read the same book twice. There are too many I haven’t read, so it is to much of a luxury. “Idia” is an exception because it’s been so many years since I first read it (about 7 I think). And it is a very smart thing to do. As it is to some extent travel writing and a great reflection of India, both with it amazing and mesmerizing beauty and with it painful poverty. I will try to complete the review after I finish it.

posted by Alina @ 1:26 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At 9/07/2006 9:30 PM, Blogger Bart Treuren said…

    i suspect that many students are so busy reading their text books, writing whatever needs writing and getting the things done which need doing, that there is hardly any time, energy or inclination to do any serious reading after that...

    for my own part, a demanding job, a family life going in all directions except the right one and lack of sleep leave me unable to go on any meaningful literary excursions at the moment... even in the train i usually fall asleep..

    in short, i think that for a lot of people life is so unsettled and fluid that there is hardly any room for serious concentration

    hope this helps... keep well ;-)

     
  • At 9/08/2006 8:00 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Bart, that might be true for other students, not for those at RAU. As I see it, they just waste time and stuff like that, as they never seem to write good papers (why bother when you can download something) or study for their exams, at all!

    As for you, I do hope things get better soon! "Things can only get better...Can only get better..." Recommend this song to you. Have no idea who sings it :D

     
  • At 9/09/2006 1:15 AM, Blogger tota said…

    Maybe you are right Alina, at your Univ. This shouldn’t be weird as the one who wants to be a writer to some extent should read a lot, so a student who reads shouldn’t surprise your professor, but it's coz of the fact you have just mentioned above, they used to get it the easy way, why bother themselves to get it by any other way. And your professor learned that about their students.

    Yesterday I was discussing something similar to that with a friend, he needs to learn a new programming tool, he knows a little about it he has all materials, DVDs, videos, documents that forms a huge material to start with learning this tool, but he said no I wanna find a center and get lesson, why bother myself reading in a book as I can get what I may read it in a week in less than 3 hours? A point!

     
  • At 9/09/2006 10:39 PM, Blogger Bart Treuren said…

    hey alina, your blog has become larger than life, or is my firefox playing tricks on me (again ;-) )
    (and k's photo of yourself is even better :D )

     
  • At 9/09/2006 10:46 PM, Blogger Safiya Outlines said…

    I like the new look, it's very smart!

     
  • At 9/10/2006 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What a facelift. Looks lovely and suits your theme better.

     
  • At 9/11/2006 10:13 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Kayo, I try very hard to read and do not always succeed.

    Tota, I am talking about an even worse cause here. They do not care...Give them a two hours class to teach them everything and they will try to skip it. Not all of them, but too many indeed.

    Bart, I changed the template and it's kind of taking all the browser :). I like how the picture looks, but am a little not happy with other stuff. Will probably change it sometimes soon.

    Safiya, thanks, I thought it's a little less pink and more appropriate by now. But a huge red bar under the blog title is missing...:(

    Thnaks Shi. it's actually the same picture, only displayed differently.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.