Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Tuesday, September 05, 2006
The Way to Feminism?
There's this particular ad has been on my mind for a while. Each time I see it, I feel I have to say something against it.

The item on the left is a toy scooter (had no idea it was called that in English untill yesterday) and it the disputed item in the ad mentioned above.

Two school mates, a girl and a boy, are the main characters of the story. Basically, the boy is playing with his scooter. The girl asks him to lend her the scooter, but he refuses, saying he will give it later.

The next move the girl makes is to pull up a Hochland sandwich and say something like "Do you want a sandwich?", and then replies "It's with what you like" when asked what's it with.

The boy starts eating and the girl takes advantage to ride the scooter. And she says to herself, with a big smile on her face, "When I'll grow up, he'll let me drive his car!"

What happened to having her own car? Nevermind that, just have some good food around and you will have men doing anything you want! Easier, faster, no biggie! A good lesson for all the girls out there still fantasizing about getting it all on their own.

Tags: Feminism, Advertising, Lifestyle
posted by Alina @ 6:04 PM  
9 Comments:
  • At 9/06/2006 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, I have seen this ad also and I agree with you. The second part of the "Maybe next time he kisses me". Unfortunately kids see too much TV nowadays, and the bad part of it is that adults do not realize this. My only advice in this situation: Kids, don't do drugs!

     
  • At 9/07/2006 2:24 AM, Blogger Safiya Outlines said…

    What are you saying? That little girls shouldn't be groomed into thinking their whole life revolves around pleasing a man? That's crazy talk and you know it! ;)

    And they say we live in a post-feminist era. Ha!

     
  • At 9/07/2006 10:00 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Sim, you are right, I believe parents and grownups rarely realize the huge impact TV has on kind.

    Safiya, very funny indeed!
    :)

     
  • At 9/07/2006 6:51 PM, Blogger Alex C. said…

    So, you're a feminist, eh? :))

    If guess K. doesn't eat Hochland. Otherwise, you wouldn't have bought the car, you would've borrowed his! :P

     
  • At 9/08/2006 7:57 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Ha! Very funny Alex! :)) Actually he does it hochland, but a different product, not the one with this commercial

     
  • At 9/11/2006 3:11 PM, Blogger RudeGirl said…

    Actually, I think it's very sad, and I wrote about it myself some time ago... As a feminist, I really feel that the Hochland commercial perpetuates the stereotype of the devious woman that has to tempt men to get what she wants. I can't help noticing the ressemblance to a Knorr or Maggi commercial featuring a mother who convinced her husband to allow their daughter to go to a concert by giving him a Maggi spiced soup. And there are more and more examples. I think it's desgusting how the advertising business turns to her account those old stereotypes about young girls and women and perpetuates them to kids, picturing them as sneaky, devious persons that deceive men with food and other crap.

     
  • At 9/11/2006 3:14 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Yes, you are right, especially since we all know food is not necessarily the best option :P.

    Sorry for the comment in English to your blog :D Sleepy and drugged, still. I wrote another on, but am not sure if you have gotten it. It was not displayed when I checked.

     
  • At 9/11/2006 3:17 PM, Blogger RudeGirl said…

    Oh, come on, don't worry about it! Are you ill or something like that? I answered your comments, it will take a while for them to actually show up:D
    I usually don't write english comments as I am ashamed of the english I spoiled during college:)

     
  • At 9/11/2006 3:46 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Was, now I am better. I am taking only one type of medicine today :) But I was kind of high on mild drugs yesterday and the day before.

    You see, as it was a throat pain, eating was extremely painful. And as I was at my mom and visiting other friends, the food I got was excellent. Therefore, more pills and keep the food coming :D :P

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.