Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Friday, September 01, 2006
Out of the Metro Trance
The subway is usually one of the fastest and most practical means of transportation in Bucharest. But it puts you into a kind of trace: you see nothing, unless you want to pay attention to the people around you, who are often to close to ever want to pay attention to. So people get a book, a newspaper or an mp3 player and get lost into a private world. Then the routine comes: out of the house – into the subway train – our of the train – into the office and the way back home in the evening.

Yesterday, because of an accident my glasses experienced (a tiny screw that broke and I was deprived of my glasses for a whole day in front of the computer), I had to get off the train sooner, in Piata Romana. I went out and started walking, while looking for a shop to fix my glasses. Well, I enjoyed the sunny afternoon, I bought myself two books (btw Sim, found a place where they sell quite cheap books in English), found a perfect present for K’s soon to come birthday and was mesmerized about what I’ve been missing lately.

I decided I should take myself walking more often, as days like these are a shame to miss. Sure, love the metro because I can read, but anyway, it does sometimes seem like a trip into an outer/underworld, detached from everything happening on the surface.

Tags: Bucharest, Walking, Metro
posted by Alina @ 2:36 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 9/01/2006 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hate the metro. There's nothing to see. I used to go out and take a walk from time to time also. It made my day a little bit better.

    I remember when I forgot my book and had nothing to read, I looked for "cultural places" near someone with a newspaper or a book :P.

    Will you take me there to buy some more books? :D

     
  • At 9/01/2006 2:47 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Sim, I don't hate it, but being on it without a book and without someone to talk to can be really boring, true!

    Sure, I'll take you there when you get back to Bucharest.

     
  • At 9/01/2006 10:46 PM, Blogger Bart Treuren said…

    metro's are so useful, but just walking through a city at different times of day can lead you to see all sorts of interesting and wonderful things/people/happenings...

    a change in routine is helpful, learning to look around and see the world in new and different ways is a challenge but one that is totally worthwhile :D

    at the moment i'm having much difficulty concentrating, but photography has been a wonderful help in focussing my perceptions, learning to see and find the details so often lost or ignored... the world is large, the information stream is enormous and yet we still can find beauty and meaning at the strangest moments and the wierdest places...

    keep well...

     
  • At 9/02/2006 8:34 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Bart, thanks for putting everything in the perfect words. Hope I could be there for you more than I am now. But you know you can email me whenever you have the time, I am always around your blog and have you in my thoughts. Wish you the best in everything and I am sure this harder period of your life will pass sooner and easier.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.