Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Monday, November 06, 2006
Iasi Preview

What is there left to do when your world is changing fast, against your will? When everything is going from bad to worse and you feel powerless, forgotten and betrayed? Shop, party and plan a vacation, of course!

Therefore I headed for Iasi with my mom on Thursday night or Friday morning, as you prefer. We left at 1 a.m. while it was raining/snowing outside, on a road I had never been on. I was a bit tired as I had slept for one hour only, but all in all the trip was awesome.

I was expecting a longer drive, as it was night and stormy at times, but we got to Iasi in 7 hours (during which we had two pit stops, one of them to also eat). As the anniversary class was at the university in Iasi, but three hours later, we had to walk a little into the freezing cold.

However, I finally found a Montherlant book that I had been looking for at least half a year. And the second part of Anais Nin’s journal. I then took part in the famous class, got kissed and hugged by most of my mother’s colleagues (they’re all lawyers or legal advisers of different kinds as she is a Law graduate).

As it suited me so well, due to the rough week and long drive with no sleep, I had a major breakdown that afternoon. And after a few hours of sleep under my mom’s close watch and an extremely long shower, I suddenly started to feel a lot better. And headed for the dinner organized in a nearby restaurant.

I had brought this nice dress to wear. But I decided it was not warm enough for it (actually, it was, for normal people, not for heat loving lizards like me). So I decided to wear a more comfortable and warm outfit and let the look wonderful part to my mom. I saw people dancing and having fun, being a family and being friends, being warm and kind and interesting. Then headed to our room, to get some sleep. I didn’t as when my mom came back at 3 a.m. I was still watching movies on my laptop.

The second day was full. We got up at 9 am and by 10 o’clock we were having our breakfast and coffee downtown. We started doing some shopping at about 11 and by half past 12, I had spent so much money that my head was twisting. But who cared when I had chosen such beautiful looking clothes/boots.

I then met Ryan, took my mom to the hotel for her lunch with her colleagues and Ryan needed to go through the pain of walking around the whole city of Iasi with me. I will give you more details and photos of the beautiful places to visit in Iasi in my next post. They are too many to squeeze in this preview/overview.

We also stopped by his place for a quick glance of the Internet world and for me to transfer some movies and music. We shared an extremely good pizza and talked a little more about everything. Given that we had previously met online only and that we became close when we were no longer colleagues in BitDefender, I have to tell you he seemed in person as great as he seemed online. One more reason to regret the old team!

Another important aspect of this day was a long morning chat with my mom. The result: I decided what to do with my winter holidays: instead of feeling sad and lonely as I predicted before pulling myself out of the bad state I was in, I will be spending the winter holidays in Cairo, Egypt!!! Yes, my Egyptian friends, I am coming there and I DO expect to meet all of you. Even you, Haal, like it or not! I am sure you will all be willing to meet me, given that you do not want to start a world ending volcano eruption. Just kidding…or am I?

After two nights with little rest, I fell asleep at 9 o’clock on Saturday and only woke up at 7 am the next day. We headed home at 9 am, we first got to Ploiesti where I left my mom and at 5 pm I was back in Bucharest. I did not get lost in Iasi! Did I tell you how proud I was of that? I actually managed (sometimes with lots of struggling involved) to get to the places I needed to get to.

Sunday evening, after half hour of checking emails and blogs, my good mood was starting to wear off. So I talked t Cris and Alex and we all went out. We had something to drink at the Amsterdam Café, talked and laughed and I came back home again, happy and prepared for a new week.

Tags: Iasi, Romania, Travel Destinations, Alina, Alina Popescu

posted by Alina @ 1:18 PM  
14 Comments:
  • At 11/06/2006 10:34 PM, Blogger Bart Treuren said…

    i'm glad you've enjoyed yourself and managed to put your mind to other matters... time to catch up with friends and family is a blessing when the going gets rough...

    a holiday in egypt, i'm so jealous... sigh...

    keep well...

     
  • At 11/07/2006 12:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well...
    i have just read ur notes...
    we are pretty much alike...
    you... u remember me..
    have a good day

     
  • At 11/07/2006 1:47 AM, Blogger Bilal said…

    what about coming down south!
    South Africa is a great summer destination- while the northern hemisphere has winter!

     
  • At 11/07/2006 9:50 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Bart, you are right, it was the best thing to do. Yup, you should envy me, it will be a great trip! :D

    Ingeras87, thanks. Do you also have a blog? If you do, would love to read it. If not, I would pe pleased if you kept commenting here and expand a little the "alike" idea. Thanks for the visit.

    Bilal, that destination is kept for a future holiday also, but not for these winter holidays.

     
  • At 11/07/2006 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Lasi" is a term we use here for those who live in Las Bela. I have
    used this recently in one of my posts. Is there any familiarity in the
    land. See this and let us know:

    http://sajshirazi.blogspot.com/2006/10/walking-on-moon.html

     
  • At 11/07/2006 12:04 PM, Blogger doshar said…

    hey Alina... Coming to Egypt... that is great. when are you coming over? email me and we can see how we can make your stay more enjoyable ISA!

    sorry to hear things have not been that great... hopefully things will get better soon.

     
  • At 11/07/2006 12:46 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Shi it is Iasi, not Lasi. Laşi is a Romanian word though. It is the plural of laş which means coward.

    Doshar, thanks so much, I've already emailed you with more details.

     
  • At 11/07/2006 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Alina !
    Thanks for your comment on:

    http://tech-nix.blogspot.com/2006/10/protegendo-um-servidor-de-e-mails.html#comments

    Have a nice day !
    Ricardo.

     
  • At 11/08/2006 11:40 PM, Blogger Cristina Banu said…

    This is the long post I told you about. Wife, write that article!!! I'll bug you everyday until you finish it. You won't get rid of me that easily, you know that :)

     
  • At 11/09/2006 6:21 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Yes, this one is pretty long indeed. But you should have mentioned which of the two outings you were refering to for me to know...:P

     
  • At 11/11/2006 12:20 PM, Blogger MoonLightShadow said…

    Alina, that's a nice surprise to know that you will be coming to Egypt.. when will be that?

     
  • At 11/12/2006 1:42 PM, Blogger Ryan said…

    Thank you, you're not so bad yourself, either. :D (I admit sometimes expecting to meet a three headed dragon, by the way you portrayed yourself on Y!Massenger :">). I'm very glad you enjoyed yourself, the pizza and the 20mins walks... I can't wait to see the full post and pics, as I still regret not bringing my own camera.

    Btw, I kind of borrowed one of your ideas for a second attempt at my blog. Hope you don't mind.

    And last, but not least, hope you'll enjoy yourself and Egypt these holidays.

     
  • At 11/13/2006 8:25 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Moon, unfortunately the flight schedules look very disappointing at this point. I might just have to postpone. What I wanted was to come during the winter holidays.

     
  • At 11/13/2006 8:25 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Ryan, the 20 min walks were indeed my favorites :P. Will try to post the photos as soon as possible!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.