Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Wednesday, February 21, 2007
The Picture of Dorian Gray - a few thoughts

I started to read “The Picture of Dorian Gray” because I was curious. I knew a bit about the idea of the novel from school, which was then trivialized by a certain movie, but I thought I should really read the book, as I was sure it bore more meaning than a few details in a school book or a fugitive character in a Hollywood movie. And I was right.

The book reveals views (different, contradictory, innovating, challenging) on everything that matters: life, art, relationships, people, artists, sins, souls. And the quotes I chose open a window into the wonders of this book and will make you want to read it. At least I hope so.

What surprises me most about this book is that it is impossible to loathe or simply dislike Dorian. An innocent, impressionable young man, corrupted by too much flattery, strange ideas and yes, certain books. Subjected to a very cynical idea of life and how it should be lived, his dreamy mind and his pure soul end up loosing everything that is good, turning to way of life too dreadful to be described in detail.

The illusion of youth and beauty, the ability to go on unmarked by what you do and who you have become, all sustained by a society treasuring money and looks only, all of these give him the benefit of doubt.

There is another interesting question: who has corrupted Dorian Gray? The painter who worshiped him and made him think exterior beauty has a very high price? The lord who filled his mind with dangerous ideas and gave him poisoning books. Who also gave him the impression all that is good will not outlast his beauty and youth? Or was it Dorian Gray, because he never tried to filter the ideas or principles shown to him as relevant? His own calling to be shallow?

Or maybe all of them. As they are all punished somehow. And which is the biggest punishment? Death or living without your dear ones, with the burden of what you have done?

Labels: , ,

posted by Alina @ 9:26 AM  
6 Comments:
  • At 2/21/2007 10:21 AM, Blogger Bilal said…

    sounds interesting...

     
  • At 2/21/2007 10:23 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Well, if you read it, tell me what you think :)

     
  • At 2/21/2007 11:35 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    A great book Alina I read it two years ago and before that read a translation in Arabic, the book itself was much entertaining than the translation and I hated the idea of the story but liked the small details, your question is so real but nevr crossed my mind, I think the painter and Dorian himself are the cause the first as an artist who sees beauty only in shapes and bodies and no soul and Dorian who knows how shallow he is and thats why he depend on his look more than anything. The thin is something very heavy to live with , thats the moral I took from this story.

     
  • At 2/21/2007 1:15 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Hechkok, I have to contradict you here. Basil, the painter, is the one person who sees the beauty of someone's face or body as a reflection of their inner beauty. he is the one who says that leading a sinful life leaves marks on a person's body. Remember the story about the man with strange looking hands that he refused to pain, to then later find out he was indeed a bad person. As for Dorian, he is shallow in what beauty and life is concerned. But he has a magnificent soul in what understanding of art is concerned. The passion for music never leaves him.

     
  • At 2/21/2007 1:54 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    do you really think so , do you really think the thinners are not good looking, do you mean that every good looking girl has an inner beuty in her.
    I can't agree on this I met people very beautiful from inside that makes you forget their real look ad the opposite.

     
  • At 2/21/2007 2:29 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    I think a trained eye can see the signs :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.