Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Tuesday, March 13, 2007
The Linux Adventure Begins
As part of my real attempt to getting to know a little about Linux and Linux distros, I have spent the last two hours reading installation and configuration instructions for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server. It has been delightful...Yeah, I again feel like there is so much I need to know. To quote the status message of a friend quoting a forum post author, "I know shit, but some shit is still unclear". Well, the amount of unclear stuff seems to keep growing and growing.

Anyway, tomorrow I will gather all the bits and parts of courage hidden within me, and give a try to install the distro on the 6 CDs now staring back at me :) Will let you know how it goes. If I fall in love with Linux and decide to quit Windows, I'll again let you know.

Labels: , , , ,

posted by Alina @ 8:07 PM  
4 Comments:
  • At 3/13/2007 11:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok... so... You figured out that SUSE L.E.S. would be a good choice of distro as your (I'm making a wild guess here) first Linux... that's ok, I would have suggested Ubuntu though (much easier to install software, allows you to focus on usage and administration)...

    Patiently reading the manual before getting started gets you a BIG plus... and now you have to burn the 6 CDs, wich is simple, after that all hell will probably brake loose but I'm sure we'll talk about that in a later post :P

    NetBoy sends you his best wishes of succesfull install and booting, if in trouble don't hesitate to send an e-mail

     
  • At 3/14/2007 11:30 AM, Blogger Ryan said…

    To quote a famous add, "Don't worry. There's no sugar." And if you need help, just ask.

     
  • At 3/14/2007 11:33 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    NetBoy, you are right, my first Linux distro, hence the Linux Newbie tag :P The CDs are already burned, thank God, I just have to make time for the installation process. Reading the manual was an attempt to avoid RTFM replies from colleagues :D And to figure it out a bit.

    Ryan, true there isn't. Just lots of data to loose :) Thanks for the offer

     
  • At 3/14/2007 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome to the club. I personally use Debian at work, but it's not as suited for beginners as Ubuntu and SuSE are. As Ubuntu is Debian-based, it's not too hard to figure out which one I prefer on the user desktop segment :)

    But there's one aspect with Linux which I grew to know: it's gonna drive you nuts (I had phases when I literally hit my head against a concrete wall for 15 minutes). Well, Windows does that too, but doesn't let you fix the problems yourself when that time comes. Don't expect to have an orgasm with Linux, because if you do, you'll be disappointed. But if you don't, you will probably get many of them :) Instant gratification doesn't work well with Linux.

    Long story short, the penguin got itself another friend (as opposed to "minion").

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.