Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Thursday, March 15, 2007
Linux Again
OK, I promise to drop the subject soon enough. But the adventures from yesterday need to be remembered. By me at least.

So, after having read the installation instructions the night before, I started installing yesterday. Well of course the it all froze at a certain point. Why? It was related to some BIOS settings, Enhanced Mode/Compatible Mode something. Apparently SLES needed the Compatible Mode.

So, I got some help and I started installing Suse Linux Enterprise Server 9. Cool distro, old though. Really old for my hardware, no it did not work. But I managed to install it and see how cool it was (it practically did everything on its own, click-click, next-next, just like Windows).

The masters have then gathered and discussed what I should try next. A newer distro, first of all, friendly with the uninitiated. Yes, right now I am a typical user. I can't be bothered with commands and terminals. Basically because I don't know them yet. So we then got an Ubuntu CD.

This time, it all went great. The installation procedure of Ubuntu is a very smart one I think. Extremely easy, everyone can do it. It is also performed from a Live CD. So while you install the distro (as it can take a while), you can also experience it: surf the internet, play a game, whatever makes you happy.

Personal likes:
- the Synaptic Package Manager! Imagine this, you update it to have all repositories up to date. Then you simply search through dozens of packages for any software you might like. Select, thrn install :)
- the great theme color: orange, a really nice orange. The theme color is also applied to other installed software: GAIM, Firefox and Thunderbird all have an orange bar.
- Thunderbird instead of Outlook (after all the issues I have encountered with Outlook on my Windows XP installation, this is a true blessing).
- A lot of pre-installed software which means less wasted time. Open Office is not my personal favorite, I have to give Microsoft what's Microsoft's: Word, Excell, PowerPoint still rock.
- more workspaces (i.e. desktops, more of them)
- the fact that it is all so new and challenging and because I feel this crave to learn more.

Personal dislikes (Disclaimer: I am a newbie, if some of these things exist or are fixable, I might change my mind later):
- what happened to Arial??? Where is it???I want it back!!!
- the fact that I know so little about it
- GAIM is pissing me off really bad at times. Until I figure out stuff, with help of others, of course :)

Labels: , , , , ,

posted by Alina @ 9:30 AM  
7 Comments:
  • At 3/15/2007 10:24 AM, Blogger Silviana said…

    You seem so excited with Ubuntu… I almost want to try it :p
    … still, I believe it is not the right moment to start learning Linux right now…

    Good thing I’ll have somebody to ask for help, when I’ll install it on my computer :p

     
  • At 3/15/2007 10:53 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Hehe, luckily for both of us, we can use it without knowing that much and we have plenty of people to then ask for help :D

     
  • At 3/15/2007 10:59 AM, Blogger Ryan said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 3/15/2007 11:03 AM, Blogger Ryan said…

    Ubuntu? Not my personal favorite, as you already know, but I'm glad you like it. Are you using Gnome or KDE? If the latter, then you could try Kopete, an IM far better than GAIM, if you ask me. :) Btw, will you be joining LUG soon? :D

    (sorry for the previous post, got mixed up in all the preety preety buttons)

     
  • At 3/15/2007 11:08 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    Hehe, pretty pretty buttons will to that to you. What the heck is LUG? Linux User Group...oh yeah, I have already joined. I spent most of my time in the office on Ubuntu, Windows is for Word and Robosotf only right now :)

     
  • At 3/17/2007 6:22 PM, Blogger Alex C. said…

    Alina, allow me to share the wisdom :P

    << "Ubuntu" is an African word meaning "I can't figure out how to configure Slackware." >>

    On a serious note now, I would suggest something more versatile and yet friendly as Ubuntu, like SuSE.

     
  • At 3/17/2007 8:39 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Well, Alex, I have to start it easily. as for Suse, I did try SLES 9, it was just too old for my system. The Ubuntu CD was the fastest they could get :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.