Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Tuesday, November 14, 2006
The Secret of the Golia Monastery
Golia Monastery was founded by the great boyar Ioan Golia in 1564. The church was rebuilt on a greater scale by Prince Vasile Lupu between 1650 -1653 and finished by his son, Stefanita. The church is made of white stone.

The Golia tower is 30 m high. The painting restored for several times, preserves few original frescoes. Damaged during the fires in 1687, 1732, 1822 and seriously affected by an earthquake in 1738 the monastery’s church underwent numerous restorations.

In 1786, because the princely courts were burnt, Golia became metropolitan residence and Prince Gavriil Calimachi moved here and spent the last years of his life. Gone to ruin after the secularization (1863), the monastery was closed between 1900 -1947, until 1992, when it eventually became a missionary monastery again. See this link for more historical details.

When seen from the outside, this place gives me the impression of separation. Keeping those outside where they are, where those inside remain within the monastery's womb. That is why I simply needed to go in and take some more photos of it (you can see them all here).

Although it looks old and conservative, the monastery has one secret that has just been revealed to the world. It is home to a hacker-monk. Yes, that is right, a computer expert monk.

Serafim Pantea spends about 10 hours a day working with computers and has been using these machines for over 24 years. Promoter of Linux and Open Source software, this very unique monk believes a hacker to be a person that craves for knowledge, someone who simply wants to learn more of technology and of how things work. His full story here, in Romanian only unfortunately.

Crossposted at Lighit Within

Tags: Golia, Golia Monastery, Iasi, Serafim Pantea, Hacking, Open Source
posted by Alina @ 9:34 AM  
6 Comments:
  • At 11/14/2006 12:15 PM, Blogger zee said…

    there is something timeless about these buildings no?

    Whenever i look at buildings and structures of long ago i get a sort of cold shiver running through me, knowing that a few hundred years before, someone was looking at the same thing i see today:)

    dont know if that sounds crazy but thats the way i feel.

    Great blog Alina:)

    take care

     
  • At 11/14/2006 12:49 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Zee, you are quite right. It is interesting to try imagining how many others have admired the very same building. What were they thinking? What was their life like?

     
  • At 11/14/2006 2:53 PM, Blogger Bilal said…

    interesting story! I like old buildings- would love to get me one of this really old ones and make it my abode:)

     
  • At 11/14/2006 3:13 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    Well, Bilal, I sometimes dream of owning an old French castle and spend to summers in it. But with lots of people, cause I have this hunch I'd be terrified at night in such a big place.

     
  • At 11/14/2006 5:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi! My name is Khan and I read your interesting blog. This is my favorite thing to do! Your last post came out in the best moment of my life because right now I'm highly interested in romanian culture and history. I have just learned that we share the same roots! I have heard about the prince Dracula, but - unfortunately - I never heard about the great boyar who built the Golia monastery. Anyway, wtf is a BOYAR? If you know hindi, I'll be happy to read your answer in my language!

     
  • At 11/14/2006 6:31 PM, Blogger Alina said…

    A boyar is a kind of a nobleman. It is a title specific to Romanian Dark Ages social organization. Sorry, no hindi on my side :)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.