Catch Speedy NOW! Advanced Hosting Solution for Bloggers

Be the first to read my latest entries on the New WOBM Blog!!!

Tuesday, February 21, 2006
Mediterranean Waltz by Buket Uzuner
I wonder what amazed me most about this book: the perfectly shaped love triangles, the main love story that starts when the boy is 5 and the girl is 7 and is very much alive in their thirties, the constant wondering if it is all real, all unreal, all partly real?

I don’t have a favorite character either. I love Blue Duna/Mabel for his long lasting love, for his way of acceptance, for being the type of the “different from the others” man, for suffering so genuinely when being compared with the rest, for being do determined to believe the civil war is nothing but a nightmare, an image of a vengeful subconscious.

I also love Brunette Ada, the raingirl daughter of two movie cinemas, an avant-garde woman and passionate photographer, blaming herself too much for a crime she did not commit, being afraid to admit to the love she feels for Duna.

I love Aras, the symbol of traditional masculinity and competitiveness, the pretty boy that does not care other girls than his own admire him. His clumsiness in treating the woman he loves as opposed of his perfect way of doing everything else.

The quiet and pale Merrich that is actually strong-willed, sharp-tongued and very focused. The lady doctor that seems so independent but depends on her husbands opinion even for shopping.

The poet Dogan Gokay for his typical way of putting every thought into literary expression. I love his permanent contact with and guidance of the young people around him. His strange passions and perfect insight of others’ character.

Pervin Gokay and Sureyya Mercan for their movie stars love: true, flamboyant, romantic, perfect, troubled, normal, mundane and a lot more at the same time.

These are just a few characters of the novel, all having such real relationships with each other, all having an impact and leaving a print on everyone else’s life. Family connections, love connections, hate connections, all are perfectly shown in the book.

Warm memories combined with war atrocities and violence, sanity mixed with complete madness, heaven and hell, all happening as they usually do in our Earthly world.

You can find more details on the author here. And a description of the book here.
posted by Alina @ 10:57 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 2/24/2006 9:12 AM, Blogger Alina said…

    I am really not reading as much as I wanted to in what fiction is concerned. Only about one or two books a month. Little, but enough to be pleasurable. I really can't live without it! It's been my favorite leisure time thing to do since 3rd or 4th grade.

     
  • At 7/08/2008 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear Alina, you have written this a while ago, but I only come across it right now. I have just read this book and I find it just fantastic. It is the best book I have ever read. The picture that is drawn from all the characters, as different as can be, just amazed me. I will check out more of her novels, I hope they will be as wonderfull as this on! Bart from Belgium

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Alina
Home: Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania
About Me: "This is my church. This is where I heal my hurts". It's also where I feel free and my preferred means of expression.
See my complete profile
ADS
On this blog, I accept sponsored reviews. Expect one such entry every now and then.I am picky about them, but you can contact me for the details.

Previous Post
My Reviews
Recent Readers
Blogroll and Other Links
Blogroll&Hall of Fame
Archives
People Coming and Going
Powered by

BLOGGER

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License.